Question about south sound crabbing...PLEASE NELLY

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Question about south sound crabbing...PLEASE NELLY

Postby 3XLSteele » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:40 pm

With the opener over a week away...and as a new boat owner I am excited to do some crabbing.
I read Nelly's bait blog for crabbing and learned from it.

I shot Nelly a message on FB today and he suggested I post the question here.

Question: What depth, Bottom type (mud or rock), and bottom Contour do you look for on your Lowrance when you drop your pots in South Puget sound (Areas 11 and 13)?

Not asking for secret spots or secret crabbing tips ...UNLESS you are willing to share those to a rookie....PLEASE feel free to email me: XXXLShane@comcast.net. :D :D :D ANY help is appreciated! spy spy

I only have a 14' Lund....so nothing to serious "Navigation" wise please.

I have three pots weighted, rigged and ready to "soak". :D

Thanks much for helping out this crabbing rookie. clap clap MUCH appreciated.
3XLSteele
Pollywog

Re: Question about south sound crabbing...PLEASE NELLY

Postby Nelly » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Well Shane,
You're in luck!
Starting this Saturday, and for the rest of the summer, I will be joined in studio by John Martinis of John's Sporting Goods.
John has written several books and if you don't have a copy of his Puget Sound "textbook" Saltwater Fishing Journal then you have a great read ahead of you!

In addition, we will devote two segments on Saturday's show to crabbing both North Sound and South.

The short answer to your question is to look for sandy flats adjacent to river mouths.
Fortunately, Puget Sound is full of such areas.
I target water from 40 to 100 feet in depth with reduced current flows and I try to avoid rocky areas.

Tune in on Saturday or if you have any other questions, post 'em up here! rockon
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion