Checking In from "The Great White North" Eh

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Checking In from "The Great White North" Eh

Postby Medium D » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I am typing this as I sit on a plane heading to Quebec City at midnight, looking forward to a couple more days of taking in the sights. Going into this trip I had hoped to have a couple successful days of fishing and a call into Saturdays show. Well, sometimes plans change and this was one of those times.
Saturday morning we planned to fish for White Fish with our buddy and Owen Sound resident, Josh Choronzey. We hit the water early with a chill in the air which was a balmy -5 Celsius. We had to take advantage of a few hour window in which we had a South wind. A North East wind makes it impossible to get out.
We are in an area called Owen Sound, which is at the very Southern end of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. Anytime you have a N.E blow, you end up with a pretty impressive surge.
DSCN1156.JPG
DSCN1156.JPG (127.39 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

Saturday morning, the wind was slightly out of the South, allowing the bay to lay-down and give us some opportunity.
The ramp was plenty busy that morning and several anglers had the same idea. Even some anglers with some motor trouble couldn’t pass on the opportunity.

DSCN1235.JPG
DSCN1235.JPG (133.16 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

These guys somehow convinced their buddies in a smaller boat than theirs, to give them a hand. This was accomplished with a 9hp. Johnson and a small diameter rope held by one of the knuckle-heads in the tow-boat. “Canadian Classic” With the odds against them, they did manage to make it to the fishing grounds about a half mile out of the marina.

Chumming for fish in certain fisheries in Canada is part of the program. The hard core White Fish fishermen, build their chum rigs out of a can to make a weighted dropper-can delivery system.

DSCN1239.JPG
DSCN1239.JPG (226.1 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

Connected to braided line on a level-wind reel, they lower the weighted can filled with single eggs, scraped from roe. The can hits the bottom, they give it a quick jerk inverting the can to release the chum and just like that you have a pile of enticing feed on the bottom beneath your boat.
Chumming only works if you have taken the time to secure your boat with a dual-anchor rig to ensure you stay on your spot over your chum. Anchoring a 16 foot boat with two 60lb, anchors on rope, hand-over-hand is interesting. Especially at a depth of one hundred and twenty feet.

DSCN1240.JPG
DSCN1240.JPG (158.02 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

The rig these guys use is pretty straight forward. A lot of guys prefer a bait cast reel. Most guys have custom built rods, which are actually made from the top end blank giving the rod about a 2 to 4lb rating and about a six foot length. The guides actually spiral around the rod. This is due to the fact that they actually jig bait for these white fish.
The terminal rig is simple. Ten pound braid for mainline, to a small size 14 barrel swivel. Above the swivel is a bead and sliding 1/2oz. to 3/4oz egg sinker. The other end of the swivel is tied to a two foot piece of 2 to 4lb. Fluorocarbon leader. The leader terminates at a size 18 treble hook.

That’s it, that’s the simple white fish rig. You simply bait two of the three tips on the treble hook with single eggs ie; Orange Deluxe or Yellow Jackets, or you can also use corn. Lower your offering to the bottom, in and around your chum and wait for a bite.
That was pretty much it. Of course it was tough fishing. Some of the boats went out trolling for Chinook. About twenty boats were anchored fishing for White Fish. In about two hours, we saw one fish caught. After about two and a half hours with no action the wind picking up and the chill in the air hanging about -4 Celsius, we called it a morning.
It was a short outing, but once again I was able to expierence yet another fishery with guys in a totally different part of the world, who share a common passion…..
Medium D
Duane Inglin
www.theoutdoorline.com 710 ESPN
Owner/Operator StrongArm Guide Service
Medium D
Master of Bait

Re: Checking In from "The Great White North" Eh

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for the report Dinglin. Sounds much too cold to call "fun"...although the travelling part is always a good time and I'm sure you're seeing some great sights. I can't believe those whitefish get up to 14 to 15 pounds. If ya lived there I suppose that'd be something you'd do to get thru the long winter. Do they eat good like the whitefish we have out this way?

Thanks again and keep us posted!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Medium D » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 pm

The locals love their White Fish. They say it taste amazing. They try to catch it themselves if they can, as it can cost upwards of $17.00 to $20.00 per lb. Ouch...
The State record is 14lbs. and some change. A good day out they get fish that average 5 to 8lbs. We were hoping to tie into a few, but it just wasn't going to happen. At least I got an understanding of a new fishery... pretty cool ;-)
Medium D
Duane Inglin
www.theoutdoorline.com 710 ESPN
Owner/Operator StrongArm Guide Service
Medium D
Master of Bait

Postby Smalma » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Robbo -
I suspect those whitefish are lake whitefish; a very different fish than the "whities"(mountain whitefish) we find in our rivers. The two species are in different genus.

The lake whitefish is a fairly long lived species; potentially some fish live well into their teen age years. While the rod and reel record is something like 15# larger individuals (some over 20#s) have been caught in commercial gill nets. I believe that the Washington state record is over 6# (found in the upper Columbia, Banks, etc).

The reports that I have had indicate that they are very good on the table though I have no personal experience with them.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks Curt and Dinglin. I'm always interested in learning about new fishes and a 15 pound whitefish sounds downright worthy of fishing for. Can't believe they fetch spring chinook-like prices though...that's crazy.

I wonder how many whitefish Nelson could eat drool
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nick Berto » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 am

Always fun learning new stuff though it looks damn cold!

Robbo wrote:I wonder how many whitefish Nelson could eat drool

rofl clap rofl
G-Loomis
Shimano
Power-Pro
Nick Berto
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion