Alaska Fishing Trip 2014 advise

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Alaska Fishing Trip 2014 advise

Postby Jeff_e_d » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm

My father, who I grew up with fishing (trolling from a boat) Puget Sound for salmon, moved to Las Vegas a few years ago and would like to catch up on some lost fishing opportunities by inviting me to go fishing with him on an Alaskan fishing trip. Neither of us have much experience in Alaska, as I am the only one who has actually taken a fishing trip to Alaska ( I fished the Kasilof River back in the 1998 time frame). So I am soliciting advise for some options for salt water fishing for salmon / halibut, possibly with some river fishing thrown in. Would expect the timing to be June 2014.
Jeff_e_d
Pollywog

Re: Alaska Fishing Trip 2014 advise

Postby Eddy C » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 am

Depends on what you like to do.
I'm a moocher with downriggers on my boat. I think the most fun way to catch them is mooching because it's hands on, so I would go with Robo. I would fly my own rod and reel up there. Ask to bait my own hook. Ask to only fish for Kings, halibut are for eating kings are for catching.

Go to the sports show and talk to every Alaskan guide. Maybe book a trip where you just rent the boat and go out on your own. The possibilities are endless all depends on your budget.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion