Can someone explain this to me?!?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Can someone explain this to me?!?

Postby LisaMarie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:21 am

I went out to pick up a mooching reel with a line counter yesterday.
I like to have my rod in my right hand and reel with my left. I'm right handed and I hold rod on the upper handle with my thumb on the blank so I can feel more of whats going. Being right handed I feel that my hand hand is more sensitive to feeling then my left. With mooching some hits can be very subtle.

While looking for a line-counter model I could hardly find left hand retrieve reel. Not sure if it because the manufactures are not making them or if stores don't carry them. I ended up getting a Cabelas 600 reel but I think it is going back after looking at it and I guess parts are hard to get.

I would like to hear from guys who mooch a lot, do you prefer left retrieve? I was told at Cabelas that Shimano doesn't make a left-hand retrieve Tekota. Is that the case?
Also, how do you prefer to retrieve? Left-handed? Or, right handed?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Can someone explain this to me.

Postby Eli » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 am

I would call or go see mike at teds sporting goods in Lynwood 425-743-9595. He would be able to take care of you
Eli
Pecker Trout

Re: Can someone explain this to me.

Postby ReiterRat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 am

That's because there are no "good"left hand retrieve line counters out there.
Okuma, I know what your thinking, actually has just come out with there new Coldwater series designed for the NW has has a sick left hand LC with 18lbs of drag.
Not sure if it's available yet but should be any day.
Check it out
ReiterRat
Pollywog

Re: Can someone explain this to me?!?

Postby Nelly » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 am

I'm really starting to see the use and need for a line-counter reel.
There are definitely advantages for mooching, vertical jigging and shallow trolling (Columbia springers and Buoy 10 fall chinook to name a few)

Robbo Endsley is a master in the use of line-counters and when used in conjunction with his Lowrance Electronics, the line-counter becomes your herring "guidance system" to make a surgically-accurate presentation to provoke a strike from a wary chinook!

Lefty line-counters are rare simply because of the availability of those little three-digit counters, the vast majority of which are driven from the right side of the case.
When you couple that with the lack of demand for left-handed reels in general well, as they say...
"There's your problem..."
That, and the fact that people who retrieve left-handed are just messed up to begin with.. rofl rofl wave
Check with John Martinis of John's Sporting Goods in Everett!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion