Float rod length

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Float rod length

Postby RonS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Just starting to look into float fishing. I'll be fishing from the bank and getting to the river in my SUV. The recommended 10'6" rods present a transport inconvenience because they're all 2 piece and won't lay across my back seat. Shimano makes a Claris 4 piece 13'6" moderate action 8-12lb line weight rod and I found info on a few 3 piece rods in the 12' range that fit the bill. I have an old 8'6" lamiglass baitcaster that I used to fish with. I could fish with it and bobber stops but have read that this isn't the best. What do you recommend for a beginner? Is a 10'6" rod my best bet or is longer even better?
RonS
Pollywog

Re: Float rod length

Postby Robbo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:29 pm

10'6" to 11' is the optimal length Ron. There's some tricks to breaking a float rod down quickly and stowing it in your SUV. Learn a quick system for breaking down the 10'6" rod with the float and all the fixin's attached and go with a two piece. Too many weak points in the rods that are 3 and 4 pieces IMO and they are a beeauch to break down and hop around from spot to spot with. Hope that helps man and good luck thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby RonS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks Robbo. And thanks for the low water float fishing blog. It was your postings that got me interested enough to buy Dave Vedder's book.
RonS
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the read Ron...onward and upward my friend thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion