metal vs plastic

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

metal vs plastic

Postby getthenet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 pm

:?: When the hot spot flashers came on the scene about twenty + years ago,the traditional metal flashers seem to go by way of 'has beens'. I use them still and they seem to work just fine. Abe 'Al's 50/50 # 1 is still a go-to for me downrigging.I do see a value in the hot spot movements,and colors,i'm not really sure they out fish the 'has been's. Anybody out there agree or not? Dustin Hoffman( in the' Graduate', ) was advised by a elder that the future is in plastic's.I dunno,Mrs Robinson ...netseduced Hoffman,and plastic's arrived eventually ...later net
getthenet
Pollywog

Re: metal vs plastic

Postby Robbo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey brother...I'm gonna move this topic over to the General Fishing Discussion Forum thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby adipose clipper » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 pm

in the winter I like the Abe and Als because I can watch the pole bob and down from my heated cabin. In the summer I which to hot spots as they put less presure on the fish, are easier to real up and hold their shape if you step on them

ac
adipose clipper
Pollywog

Postby getthenet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 pm

thumbup thumbup Thanks Robbo!...my bad.
getthenet
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I thing that if you use a flasher then you should use the one that you have the most confidence in . There are times that I will drag out the 8inch plastics in the winter just to change it up feeder fish see alot of hardware it is important to change things up every once and a while . Drop in "Abe" when everybody else in the pattern is draging plastic chances are you will get bit. I somtimes run a big (6.5 or 7 inch) trolling spoon 30'' in front of a cutplug again just to mix things up . Also dont just try new stuff when nothing is biting the put it away for good every peice of gear should get a couple of chances.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 pm

It's funny that this topic came up as I pulled out the Brasso and Nevr Dull and shined up some old-school metal while I was watching the Hawks put the Rams back in the basement where they belong.

Abe & Al's definitely cut a different swath through the water and the use of dodgers and larger, old Canadian Wonders put a new "vibe" in the water as well.
When you're scratchin' for a few bites, a change of pace is often just what the Doctor ordered.

Most of the time I run QCove Breakaways and HotSpots. I always have a "Kelp Kutter" handy and I'm not afraid to use it! 50cal
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion