Shrimp Dates

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Shrimp Dates

Postby The Gremlin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Has WDFW posted the May shrimping dates? I can't find them and I'm trying to figure out my days off in May already. Thanks!
Gremlin
The Gremlin
Pollywog

Re: Shrimp Dates

Postby Rock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am

I got an email last night on them. At least that is what I thought I did. But I can't seem to find it. I will look around for you.
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Here's what I have from Shrimp Man Mark O' Toole who, by the way will be giving a shrimp season update live from the Master Marine Spring Seminar this Saturday March 16th!

Fishing seasons for various areas of Puget Sound opening May 4 are:

•Hood Canal Shrimp District (Marine Area 12): Open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 4, 8, 15, 18 and 22.

•Discovery Bay Shrimp District (Marine Area 6): Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 4, 8, 15, 18 and 22.

•Marine Areas 4 (east of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line), 5, 6 and 13 (excluding Discovery Bay Shrimp District): Open daily beginning May 4 at 7 a.m. The spot shrimp season closes when the quota is attained or until Sept 15, whichever comes first. The exception is Marine Area 13, which closes for spot shrimp May 31.

•Marine Area 7 East and South: Open May 4 at 7 a.m. and will be open May 8-11, May 15-18, May 29 – June 1.

•Marine Area 7 West: Open May 4 at 7 a.m., open Wednesday through Saturday each week until June 1, after June 1 open Thursday through Saturday each week until quota is attained or September 15, whichever comes first.

•Marine Areas 8-1, 8-2, 9, 10 and 11: Open May 4 and May 8 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Additional dates and times will be announced for these areas if sufficient quota remains.

The area with the largest increase in fishing time over last year will probably be MA 7 West, last year MA 7 went 6 days and this year MA 7 West is projected to go 32, which could take it into mid July. As you know the new twist to the MA 7 season this year is that we are going to have to break up MA 7 from two shrimp subareas (MA 7 north & MA 7 south – currently on our website) into three shrimp subareas (MA 7 east, MA 7 west & MA 7 south – we are essentially splitting MA 7 north in two. This is because MA 7 is made up of several spot shrimp quota areas, some much larger than others, and with the higher allowed recreational catch some areas would hit quota well before other areas, and we cannot blow out these lower quotas.

Also, we have decided to initially schedule only two rec openings for MA's 8-11 (all of the central Sound areas); May 4 & 8, then we will see if there are enough pounds left anywhere to reopen for an extra day a week or two later. If we have lbs remaining for an extra day we don’t know if it is going to be enough for a Saturday (18th ?) or a Wednesday (22nd ?), we need more lbs for a Saturday opener, we’ll see. My guess right now is that all but MA 9 should probably get an extra day.

Thanks for the information Mark and we'll see you Saturday at Master Marine in Mt. Vernon! thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Billgo4th » Fri May 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Going to try out in Tacoma area anyone know of some good spots? About 10 years ago went out just south of Des Moines, we did okay got couple of limits. Just wondering if that area is still good or not.
Bill
Billgo4th
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for joining our Forum Bill!
One thought about looking for new shrimping grounds: think gradual slopes and reduced current.
In other words... not the Tacoma Narrows... rofl

Sorry I couldn't resist...

If you have a slope off a river mouth that works too! My favorite depths are 180' to 300'
Remember to weight your pots, lots and lots of bait and find Tom Pollock's shrimp pots and fish there!!! wave thumbup

Welcome aboard Bill!!! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Billgo4th » Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Well we took the boat out for the first time this year! It ran awesome! can't go wrong with Rud V-TEC. We drop the pots off just north by Des Moines. Not many people out only about five boats by us. We worked all day and got two limits for three people fishing. We dropped from 225-325. It was hit and miss with some pots but there was a big tide change. Talked to people at the docks sounds like everyone did good that went north of Gig Harbor. I will try that side when given the next chance. I hope they will open other areas not just Hood Canal on May 15, 18, and 22.
Billgo4th
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion