UV Lures/Flashers

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

UV Lures/Flashers

Postby Blackjaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 am

So, what is everyones opinion regarding UV Flashers/Lures and whether they work better than Non-UV for certain applications (Ex. Kokanee Fishing or WInter Blackmouth). I would also be interested in hearing about opinions on there relative effectiveness for walleye/steelhead/any fish species you want to chime in on..... Frankly, I don't have enough experience with them yet to form an opinion one way or another.

Thanks,

Blackjaw.
Blackjaw
Pollywog

Re: UV Lures/Flashers

Postby Jadeo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 am

I love UV stuff in the salt and dont care for it in fresh . that being said I still havent got up to baker for sockeye and I dont fish Kokes . A good start for black mouth is Kingfisher lite cookies n Cream or Irish Cream being towed behind a UV/Glow flasher Q Cove stuff is badass but remember extra harnesses.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Jadeo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:22 am

UV dosnt seem to change anything with bottomfish. If hoochies are your thing the purple haze squid has been productive as well as the whitelightning ace hi fly hope this helps
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey Rick!
Welcome to our happy little group over here!

I'm a UV fan for both downrigger presentations and spring chinook in the Columbia River.
Ultra violet light penetrates much more deeply in the water column than visible light and therefore a UV lure has a better chance to be seen at depth.

Jadeo wrote:I love UV stuff in the salt and dont care for it in fresh . ....

I have to agree with Jadeo on this issue. I don't think UV is as effective in shallower, fresh water fisheries. However, if you are a walleye fan and fish low light situations, UV treated lures may offer an advantage!

Good luck and thanks again for joining our Forum!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jadeo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 am

I must confess I do like uv in fresh in small doses the pic I posted a littlewhile back Dollysaurus was caught on a home tied flesh fly with about 4 strands of UV mylar it improves the colored water production of this fly .
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion