Who's the Best Fisherman?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Who's the Best Fisherman?

Postby Robbo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 pm

It's our annual appeal to find out just who is the best fisherman out there. Is it a bass pro, spoon chucker, trout bum, bluewater captain, or salmon slammer that tops the list. This is the internet world folks, so mull it over for at least 5 seconds and then let me know. I took exactly 7 seconds to come up with my list, but everyone knows I'm a little slow :D

Here ya go thumbup

Flyfisherman - In the flyfishing world the anglers that impress me the most are the trout bums. Fly casting takes an incredible amount of dexterity, timing, and practice and to be top dog an intimate knowledge of aquatic entomology is a must. From size 22 lightning bugs to dries, streamers, and scuds these anglers need to know them all. They can also tie them all on the tailgate of a 67 Ford with a flashlight in their teeth!

Bass Fisherman - Bass fisherman make the top of my list because of the massive amount of hand-eye coordination these anglers possess. To catch big bass consistently you've got to be able to huck a Zippy Digger into a Dixie Cup from 50 yards every single cast and then detect what is often not even a bite at all, but when they set the hook there's a fish there. In addition, the good guys know the life stages of the bass, as well as the life stages of every living creature that lives in their environment. Most importanly...they need to drive a boat at 80 mph plus in tight quarters. Not easy!

Billfish Captain - These guys rank up there on my list because hey have to know how to handle fish that could weigh in excess of 1,000 pounds that ALSO swim 50 plus miles per hour. Black marlin, blue marlin, white marlin, sailfish, and swordfish...they can catch them all. They also have to operate and maintain some of the most expensive and sophisticated recreational fishing machines on the planet.

Steelhead Guide - I'm specifically thinking of guides that fish the Forks area rivers and any other rivers that are uber-technical. These guys, and a few gals, put their guests into the hardest fighting freshwater game fish in North America on a daily basis and sometimes risk their life in the process. The good ones are adept at flyfishing, plugging, spoons, drift fishing, and float fishing in a dynamic river environment that is ever-changing. And to operate a heavy driftboat full of guests you've got to be in some kind of shape.

Flats Guide - These guides pursue a laundry list of species and catch them consistently on either fly or spinning tackle on any given day. They can be fishing for huge tarpon one day, permit on the fly the next, and sea trout or snook in the mangroves the next day. Like a bass fisherman they can cast into a Dixie Cup from great distances very consistently and they have an intimate knowledge of the flats.There

There's some others that come to mind, but that's a good start for now. Whatta you think :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Who's the Best Fisherman?

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Me!!!
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby king me » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Steelhead Spey casters really impress me, but the noodlers are the craziest!!
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Salmonhawk wrote:Me!!!

Here we go.... Tobeck you can call in and make your case... but, you have to do it live and since you don't like to get up on Saturday mornings anymore.... boxing
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby talltails » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am

Me of course...I got a steelhead on the cowlitz river and a pink salmon on the snohomish and skykomish ON THE SAME DAY!!
Top that Nelly
talltails
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 am

I caught a chinook and a Kokanee on the same day!
The Kokanee was in a bottle however... spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Dan Carney » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 am

How about the guy who can do multiple types of fishing while persuing different target species, such as: downrigger, long line trolling, mooching, casting, still fishing bait - for: Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, Bass, Walleye, Sturgeon, etc... Salt and Fresh water... To me that represents a great fisherman. I'm not that guy, but I'm working on it. Last year I caught Salmon in salt, Sockeye in Baker Lake; Trout in Lake Cavanaugh; Salmon, Steelhead, Bass and Walleye on Snake River; and Humpies in Skagit. I had to go out of town during most of Halibut and Lingcod last season but I'm looking forward to this spring.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby haus_bh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:16 am

What about a guide in SE Alaska???
haus_bh
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I didn't see carp on your list of species Dan rofl rofl

I didn't want to come right out and say SE Alaska charter captain Blake...that's called "Insider Trading" and Nelly would've banned me from the site :D
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Marc Marcantonio » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Well, if you want to compare who has caught record size salmon (Atlantic, Sockeye, Coho, and Chum species), American White Shad, State Record Largemouth, IGFA Record Smallmouth and Spotted Bass, IGFA World record Walleyes, trophy grayling and char, sturgeon, catfish, not to mention huge Blue Gill and Crappie, Bowfin, Northern Pike and Eastern Chain Pickerel, and many more species too numerous to mention...

....and gets paid to do it......then I would be happy to accept the Award! Just saying...

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
Marc Marcantonio
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion