Using a cheater spoon

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Using a cheater spoon

Postby kurtmiller » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Tom, I watched your video re: rigging a cheater (slider) spoon and love the idea. My only concern is what happens when a fish hits it. How can it get hooked in the belly of the line and if it does, what happens when it gets to the release pin on the downrigger line??
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Re: Using a cheater spoon

Postby Nelly » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey Kurt,
All very good questions, valid concerns and it shows that you're thinking about and visualizing what is happening to your gear while trolling.
That's the best way I know of to become a better fisherman!

When fishing a slider spoon you really need to pay close attention to your rod, swing hard and get on that fish as fast as you can.
Are you going to hook every fish that grabs a slider? No, but you wouldn't have had a chance at him without the slider working for you in the first place.

As far as what happens when it hit the clip? It's going to release although not as quickly as your terminal gear which is why you need to really tend your stick!

One more thing to consider: When a predator grabs a baitfish, he does not experience the immediate resistance that trolled gear imparts on a striking fish.
It's entirely possible that a fish taking a slider will get the hook more deeply due to the lack of immediate tension and that may lead to a solidly hooked fish... or, one that spits it out when he tastes metal! :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jadeo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

More importantly Kurt
Why are you using Release "pins" ?
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby kurtmiller » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 pm

I meant release clip... I use Penns. I'm thinking once the fish gets there, releases your line from the clip, the only thing that can happen is a collossal mess with your flasher and whatever is behind it.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Jadeo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 am

One thing that do is run a beadchain with 3 ft of line o either side of it between my hardware and swivel on my main line this keeps things far enough apart and helps with line twist problems. Plus I would rather untangle tackle after reeling in a fish than tow a flasher around all day for nothing.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Slabby20 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Wow, with as much time as I spend reading and posting in fishing forums hard to believe this is my 1st post on this site.

Question - I'm assuming there is no question that this is a legal set up here in Washington. Does anyone know if this would be legal in British Columbia waters as well? It could really be interesting to do this off the West Coast of Vancouver Island :D

Nelly, any idea how far down the belly of the line actually is? would it be at the 1/2 way point, deeper, shallower? Say I'm trolling the mud for Blackmouth in 120 feet of water, how far down would the cheater spoon ride.
Slabby20
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for jumping on board Slabby!
I would be lying to you if I told you exactly how deep that slider spoon was but you're on the right track with your guess.
Basic physics will tell you that the largest deflection or "belly" of your main line will occur at the half-way point.
So, if you're fishing with 120 feet of wire, an intelligent guess would be that the slider spoon was fishing at around 60 feet.

As far as it's legality, if you're fishing with two barbless single-point hooks in Washington marine waters you're good to go and it does not matter how far apart the hooks are.
The only way you would run afoul of the law would be fishing a two-hook herring rig on the bottom and then sliding a spoon. Three hooks and you're an outlaw.

Definitely check your local regulations and hopefully you'll be sliding your way to salmon success this season! gears
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Slabby20 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks Nelly. I'm a local area 8 and 9 guy so I was sure it was fine here. I was just curious if you knew what the BC regs were on this. I'll certainly check it out before heading up there this summer. I'll see you and Big Red on the water.
Slabby20
Pollywog

Postby David » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

I looked for a video on this rig and can't find it. Got a link?
David
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:17 am

Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion