Tide rips

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Tide rips

Postby LisaMarie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:48 am

I have a question for you guys. I hear seasoned guys talk about fishing rips...

1) Identifying rips, I see areas of water where the surface is rough and there is a distinct line or edge and the other side is smooth. Is this what is meant by a rip?

2) Does any different species of Salmon favor rip tides? Would you more likely find Coho in Rips or Chinook?

3) How to fish a rip. Do you fish the rough side or smooth side? Troll or Mooch or both. Any tips for keeping garbage off gear in rips?

4) When to fish a Rip. I would assume they disappear on the slack. Is it better to fish them when a rip gets started or after they have been established for awhile.

5) Some favorite spots to fish rips. I mainly fish MA9 And MA7, I would like to hear about some places there but, if you have other places in different Marine Areas thats good too.
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Tide rips

Postby Dan Carney » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Sounds like we have similar knowledge of rip tides.
It is my understanding that they are best for Coho.
I can't wait to hear what some of the pros have to say on this.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Re: Tide rips

Postby Nelly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:30 am

Hey LM, Great question! I apologize for not getting to answer this earlier but I just flew back from Sitka yesterday. However, we did touch on this topic on air this morning and I hope to provide a more complete answer here with your questions quoted and my answers in bold type.

"1) Identifying rips, I see areas of water where the surface is rough and there is a distinct line or edge and the other side is smooth. Is this what is meant by a rip?"

I define a tide rip as an area where opposing currents meet and yes, quite often there is a calm side and a choppy side as well as a "clean" and "dirty" side where debris and drift collects. It is this accumulation of both floating "drift" and subsurface biological material that make tide rips a very productive location to fish.

"2) Do any different species of Salmon favor rip tides? Would you more likely find Coho in Rips or Chinook?"

While earlier in the season you'll more frequently find chinook in the rips, come late August or September, silvers or coho will be agressively feeding in these areas. Personally, I get more excited about fishing coho in the rips as chinook typically feed deeper and coho are more surface oriented.

"3) How to fish a rip. Do you fish the rough side or smooth side? Troll or Mooch or both. Any tips for keeping garbage off gear in rips?"

Most fishermen think that you have to be right inside the rip to effectively fish it. Not so! As long as you're within 10-20 yards that's close enough! To get closer runs the risk of fouling lines due to the swirling subsurface currents or debris commonly found in these areas of converging tidal flows. To further enhance my tide rip effectiveness I will stay on the "clean" side of the rip to reduce the time I have to spend with my gear out of the water to clean my lines. If I encounter a rip while trolling, I will often turn and follow the rip without regard to depth or a bottom contour that I may be tracking. If on the other hand, I'm enjoying a successful trolling morning, I might disregard the rip altogether! If you find a rip while you're on the run, it's easier to drop a jig or mooch a specific spot than set up and troll a limited area. Remember that fish may be congregated in a small area of the rip and you may need to run a parallel course and watch your sounder to locate these fish.

"4) When to fish a Rip. I would assume they disappear on the slack. Is it better to fish them when a rip gets started or after they have been established for awhile."

Another great question that demonstrates that you've been out there experiencing these currents and have contemplated fishing them! The best time to fish a rip is when you find them! My approach to a days fishing usually involves consulting the "info network" consisting of my fishing friends and charter fleet captains who have been out on the water the previous day. I will then go to a specific area or spot and begin to grind the gear. If on my way out or back I spot a tide rip and birds are working it, I'm stopping and will take a look on the Lowrance to see who is home!

"5) Some favorite spots to fish rips. I mainly fish MA9 And MA7, I would like to hear about some places there but, if you have other places in different Marine Areas thats good too."

During the coho season, rips often form off Double Bluff in MA9 and that's a great place to start! In MA7, the San Juan Islands, rips will also be found all along Rosario Strait as well as the west side of San Juan Island. Thanks for the great question!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion