'Deep Water Chinook' by Jambo, Thurs, 3/12 Win a Scotty HP D

Check here for Outdoor Line news, trips, public appearances, website updates, and political news. Club announcements are welcome here! here.Image

'Deep Water Chinook' by Jambo, Thurs, 3/12 Win a Scotty HP D

Postby Fishnut » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 am

Mike is going to be teaching you on how to fish for Chinook on the coast. At times of warm water these Chinook go real deep and you might not understand that. You could be fishing over them and doing poorly.
He will be going over all fishing and not just deep water, but will show you how to effectively set up for deep water.

We are giving away a high speed Scotty 2106 Downrigger at this meeting as the grand raffle prize!

Mike Jamboretz of Jambo' Sportfishing is going to be showing you how to set up your boat, downriggers, and rods, to catch real deep Chinook Salmon when they are running very deep. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Mike fishes for Chinook mainly out of Neah Bay. The Near-Shore fishery from Skagway to Umatilla can be great, but it can be inconsistent. Fishing this area is all about timing and can be compared to fishing a river, as in right place-right time. When the fish are not following the beach, they can generally be found off-shore and in deeper water. Fishing the canyon edges, and out on the 'Prairie' can be very productive. The problem is that there are times when water temperatures rise, and the Chinook are too deep to reach with traditional sport gear.

As a Fishing Charter Captain, I am constantly searching for any 'Intel' available. Over the years it is apparent that during these times, the majority of nice Chinook coming in are landed by Commercial Trollers, and not Sport Fishers. The frustrating thing for us is that quite often the Trollers are only finding the good biters on the bottom spreads of their gear, which is too deep for average sport gear.

These are the times when the only bait balls that we can find, look like Haystacks of bait fish rising 50 ft off the bottom in 450+ feet of water. A few years ago I would be too afraid of tangles to drop the Downrigger Balls deep enough to reach these fish. Over time, trial, error, and tangles, I have finally developed a method to successfully fish 4 Rods at these depths with as much as 480ft of cable out. I will not say that we never tangle, but we are not tangling until we have multiple Chinook hooked up. It is not uncommon to find that Happy Spot and hookup all 4 Rods.

In my Ocean Salmon Seminars besides the usual Tackle Talk, I now cover the importance of Ocean currents, and how set up your boat and gear to successfully fish these Deep Water Chinook.

Thursday, March 12th 6:30PM
SOUTH COUNTY SENIOR CENTER
Edmonds Waterfront
220 Railroad Ave
Edmonds, WA 98020

BIG Pizza Slice or Hot Dog: $2 Soft Drinks: $1

All proceeds of PSA Sno-King go back into enhancing our fisheries. Come, join and be a member.
Last edited by Fishnut on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishnut
Pollywog

Re: 'Deep Water Chinook' by Jambo, Thurs, 5/12 Win a Scotty

Postby salmonhunter1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm going to have to go to this.
salmonhunter1
Pollywog

Return to Outdoor Line News and Announcements