Kent Alger-Downrigger tricks and tips, Sept 11, PSA Sno-King

Check here for Outdoor Line news, trips, public appearances, website updates, and political news. Club announcements are welcome here! here.Image

Kent Alger-Downrigger tricks and tips, Sept 11, PSA Sno-King

Postby Fishnut » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:07 pm

This Thursday Sept, 11 Kent Alger of Three Rivers Marine in Woodinville will be giving a great presentation at PSA Sno-King. I went in and talked to Kent as he was in the process of reworking/upgrading a couple of Scotty Downriggers. I watched Kent install braided type line and do some other things to this setup I had never seen. I was pretty enthused. He asked I ran braid. I told him that I had it but never put it on. He said with there are some things you need to know and do to run braid, and will love it. I knew that you have to clean up the pulleys with sandpaper so you do not cut it. He came back with there are quite a few different things to do and can do, that help you run braid.

I asked him if he would come to our meeting and go over some of these and other downrigger tips for our membership and others that come to see the demonstrations. He thought that would be a great idea and accepted. We are looking for new ideas instead of the same fisherman telling how to generally catch fish. This past year we had some different shows. We had John Keizer with how to tune your electronics, Derek Floyd on how to read bottom charts to target fish, and other out of the ordinary fishing presentations. Kent’s presentation will fit right into that category.

We are going to have some other speakers next year that will be fishermen that will be telling you how to fish an exact area, such as Neah Bay, Lapush, San Juans, Ect. I am going to see if I can get Jambo to give up his deep water downrigger fishing secrets for the prairie next year. He was very successful this year in catching big deepwater kings.
On a different note I would like to publically thank Three Rivers Marine for keeping us on the water. As a recreational leader that works in and out of our recreational fisheries, it is very challenging to say at the least. I work with lobbyists, our other fishing groups, and incognito with legislators to make things happen that you see the end result of. Sometimes great, sometimes good, and other times not so good. On the not so good times we definitely have softened the blow to us. Three Rivers behind the scenes are very politically motivated and have done so much for us and 99.9% will never know. But we have ways to do things that we cannot expose what we are doing. I really hope you support them.

Come and see Kent on Thursday and support PSA as well as Three Rivers Marine. PSA Sno-King puts its money where its mouth is. When you support us, you support our fisheries as every dime we make goes back into our fisheries and nothing spent on us! As always food and drink available for those coming straight from work. Big Raffle!! Kent also has a website that you can go to: www.guidesnw.com

See you Thurday, 6:00
Edmonds Senior Center
220 Railroad Ave
Edmonds, WA
Fishnut
Pollywog

Return to Outdoor Line News and Announcements