Spiral wrapped Rod

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Spiral wrapped Rod

Postby Jadeo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:23 pm

I have had a rod blank that I want put together. It will be a 10ft downrigger rod my question to all you guys is this. Has anybody fished with a spiral wrapped downrigger rod ? spiral wrapped meaning the guides are offset as the move down the blank the theroy on this is rod torque is reduced under load while fighting the fish. I would love to hear from any body who has used a rod like this. I think that the idea is a sound one and just want to know if I should spent the time building a rod like this only to find out the idea is not all that its cracked up to be.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Re: Spiral wrapped Rod

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Hey J,
Bill Boyce of Fetha Styx made me a 1065 (10' 6" and a 5 power or 15-30lb rating) Spiral Wrapped rod and it's my favorite 'rigger rod. drool
The handle is graphite so the rodholer has no cork to bite into or eat and the spiral guide pattern and the sheer numbers of guides (15 or 16 if I recall correctly) ensure that the line never contacts the blank!
I have some guys on the boat look at the rod a little goofy but for a rod that lives it's life flexed to the break point, spiral wrap is a great innovation!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jadeo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm

I got this blank from Batson about a ago I think I will go ahead and spiral wrap it .
Will I need to build 2 one for each side of the boat?
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Negative Ghost Rider tommygun

The direction of the spiral wrap is not port or starboard specific but you should build two...

I've fished mine on both sides fo my boat with no issues...except for the fact that once somebody grabs it to fish their side of the boat I can't get it back! rimshot
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jadeo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 pm

thanks for the input
I will build two but I dont have the pesos for carbon handles so I will go with foam with shrinkwrap .
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion