whole herring troll etc.

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

whole herring troll etc.

Postby getthenet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Are there any fellow d.r. trollers that fish whole herring alone ? After reading authors like D.C. Reid,Charly White.and others-take on this subject i've found little info about this method.John Kieser has a how to rig em up video,which is fine. I'm sure there are others. Iv'e used these methods,or variations of,and have learned that it can be quite satisfying aka fun! I've enjoyed fishing puget sound this way but haven't heard from people who fish this way often. Since this economy is sputtering(to say the least),whay spend more money on the latest and greatest. keeping things simple still works for me ...thanks all ...net.
getthenet
Pollywog

Re: whole herring troll etc.

Postby Nelly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Hey Get'
Here's a blog: http://blog.theoutdoorline.com/post/2010/05/31/A-new-Spin-on-Herring!.aspx

And, here is a video: http://video.theoutdoorline.com/view_video.php?viewkey=586dfa4d1bc0e1742c08&page=2&viewtype=basic&category=mr

..detailing the deadly herring "helmet" technique.

Also, for other topics, check out our Resource line http://www.theoutdoorline.com/Resource-Line/75.aspx

...where we have organized our site's content by general topics for easy access! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby getthenet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Nelly. I use the rhys davis( at nootka sound ) which work quite well. The whole herring method w/o added hardware has become a challenge and a exciting way for me to fish in the sound. Thanks for the added info Nelly i appreciate your reply...net.
getthenet
Pollywog

Postby Cosmic_Coho » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Pinch the mouth shut, top hook thru the CHEEKS, roll it back thru the EYES, your done.
This rig produces BIG, Fast roll, particularly deadly on summer Chinook offshore out of Westport.
I like it about 15-20ft. back of the downrigger, right off the main line, stacked about 6-8 ft. above the downrigger ball, with the flasher/dodger attached to the back of the ball.
Quicker, less messy than cutplugs, plus no drag from the flasher when fighting the fish. Good for frozen herring (which i despise, but living 6 blocks from the "Little Mick" herring boat in Tacoma will do that to a guy! )
Tight lines.
Cosmic_Coho
Pollywog

Postby ---dp--- » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Cosmic_Coho wrote:Pinch the mouth shut, top hook thru the CHEEKS, roll it back thru the EYES, your done.
This rig produces BIG, Fast roll, .

I learned something similar to this. Pinch the mouth shut, go through the gill plate, back around and through the top of the head. That part is crucial to get the right spin. I have found that whole herring out fishes hardware, and then other times where hardware out fishes herring....it's good to have in the arsenal for the day.
---dp---
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Run both hooks from lower jaw out throught the top of the head front hook goes around the collar the back hook can fly or give a little more spin by hiding the shank of the rear hook under the skin on the lateral line . This set up is great with cured bait but works just fine if the bait is just starting to thaw
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Jadeo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:57 pm

If you try my rigging method you will see very quickly that the spin is very tight this is very good on feeder fish. If you want to give it a little more thump you can give it some tail whip by bending the herring and running a toothpick under the skin to the inside of the bend. If you are all fishing on the cheap filets are another good way to go (two baits per herring) filets can be rigged without holders as well .
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion