Baker Lake Sockeye!!!

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Baker Lake Sockeye!!!

Postby Nelly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 pm

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

July 19, 2011

Baker Lake sockeye fishery opens July 23

OLYMPIA - For the second straight year, anglers will be able to fish for sockeye salmon in Baker Lake, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

From July 23 until further notice, anglers can retain up to three adult sockeye salmon that exceed 18 inches in length from the log boom barrier at Baker Dam upstream to the mouth of the upper Baker River. All other salmon, as well as bull trout, must be released.

Brett Barkdull, a fish biologist for WDFW, said this year's return is expected to meet spawning production goals. As of today, 8,285 sockeye had returned to hatchery facilities at Baker Lake.

"About 3,600 of those sockeye salmon have been released into Baker Lake," said Barkdull. "We expect that number to continue to increase as we approach Saturday's opener."

Barkdull reminds anglers that the Baker and Skagit rivers remain closed to salmon fishing.

For more information on the Baker Lake sockeye fishery, check the fishing rule change at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1073 . Additional information on Baker Lake sockeye is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/socke ... river.html .
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Baker Lake Sockeye!!!

Postby Dan Carney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

How is it that 6 months ago, I was lucky enough to book a campsite at Baker Lake for a week starting on the 23rd of July?
Hopefully I should have some good stories and pics when I get back.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Eddy C » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:40 pm

How do you fish for them? Same as Lake Washington?
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Smalma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 am

Eddy -
Given the numbers of sockeye in the lake last year I found them to be very good biters. I fished the trifecta last year (upper Columbia, Lake Wentachee and Baker) and thought the Baker fish were the best biters.

Any of the more common "sockeye" methods seem to produce on Baker. We experimented with a number of presentations last year including bare hooks (red and black), flatfish, small pink hoochies, etc; also dressed some of the gear up with beads, smilie blades, and dyed prawn pieces. It all caught fish so yes your standard lake Washington gear will work just fine (after all the Washington fish originally came from Baker). Will say that if the fish get somewhat picky a change-up in your presentation may add a fish or two to your cooler. Adding a little flash, some scent or piece of meat or a trolling speed change, etc can supply that final trigger for a take.

Will also add that having good electronics and paying close addition to it can be critical.

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Nelly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 am

Smalma!
You have turned into a "kokanee" purist!!! :D

You're as bad as I am with chinook!!! :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Smalma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 am

Nelly -
What can I say - I enjoy fishing for the various forms of O. nerka. Not only are they tasty I can actually catch one every now and then.

While I do enjoy fishing now and then for the other salmon and the various trouts (as well as some warm water species) I defer those more qualified to comment on how to catch those critters.

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Dan Carney » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Eddy C wrote:How do you fish for them? Same as Lake Washington?

I only got out to fish for them one time last year. Smalma describes everything I have heard about fishing for them in great detail. The one thing I keep hearing is when you thing you are trolling slow enough, go even slower. We will see, hopefully I will know a lot more in a week.

Smalma or Nelly (or anyone else),
One thing I forgot is how long should the terminal leader be between the dodger and the hooks/hoochie?
Thx & L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Smalma » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Dan -
The important factor is the transfer of energy from the motion of the dodger to the hook/lure. Two things to consider is both the leader length and the diameter of the leader

At the speeds commonly used in sockeye fishing I typically fish bare hook leaders about 11 inches long (sometimes a bit shorter). I usually tie the hooks on 40# leaders (something stiff like maxima). With smaller hooks you will need to step down a bit in leader size; use as large as you can and still effectly tie the leader.

Tight lines
curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Dan Carney » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks, I will let you know how it works.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Eddy C wrote:How do you fish for them? Same as Lake Washington?

We'll have a segment with Ryan Bennett of Reel Deal Guide Service on Saturdays show. He'll be answering this question specifically, tune in.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion