So...ever lose an anchor?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

So...ever lose an anchor?

Postby Todd » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 am

Someone on another board lost an anchor, and was looking for a new one...it turned into story time, and here's one I related, copied over from the other board...thanks, Rob!

The only thing more humbling than the "opened carabiner trick" is not the rock you have to use...but having buddies who "help" you out...

Many years ago I was anchored in two feet of water rigging schit up on the upper Sauk, just above a log jam...all of a sudden, we were floating away.

Damn.

Had a locking carabiner on, and it still came undone. D'oh.

Hopped on the sticks, and got around the log jam, no worries.

Pulled over at the next convenient spot, and did the ol' "look for a big rock" routine...found one, wrapped it in cam straps, and tied it on.

Didn't work worth a schit, but it was better than no anchor...I guess.

Typically knowing people is a good thing...but I guess it depends on who ya know

Got back to town later and called up my buddy Rob Endsley, when he was still guiding up there, and living in Bellingham.

"Rob, if you've got an anchor laying around, I need it tomorrow...I know right where my anchor is, but it's a few miles to get to it and I'd like to have an actual anchor to use to get there."

Since Rob was there daily, and I was up there camping for a month, this was an easy fix...right?

"You know we're moving, right? I have this old homemade POS anchor in the garage...it's three sided, weighs about 20 pounds, and has a crescent wrench sunk in it for a loop. I was going to bury it in the backyard before we moved...it'll be perfect for you!"

"Uhh...thanks!"

Rob showed up at my camp early the next morning with his clients in tow, who thought this was all pretty funny. He comes out of his truck with a small three sided anchor, with the wrench sticking out of it...spray painted bright yellow with the words "Endzlee's Kustom Ankerz" written all over it with a black Sharpie.

He presented it to me like it was the frickin' Stanley Cup, and everyone laughed.

Not one to ruin a good joke, I dutifully tied it on, and went fishing.

It didn't work much better than the rock I had on the day before, but got a few funny looks in the first few miles of river, that's for sure!

When I got to where my own anchor was sitting, I pulled over and grabbed it, tied it on, and tossed the yellow Kustom Anker in my box, where it sat for two years, thankfully never to be needed again.

I gave it to another friend as a pontoon anchor a few years later...don't know where it ever went after that.

Ahhh...friends. Like I said, it's good to know people, just be careful about who ya know.

Honestly...it was a hella nice thing to do, to dig around and find that anchor and give it to me to use for half a day...and if everyone has fun with it, then all the better.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I never use carabiners ever, after that...always a good strong knot.
Todd
Pollywog

Re: So...ever lose an anchor?

Postby Nelly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am

Oh, yeah. I've lost anchors.

I've lost them in the Skagit River, Columbia River, Sitka Sound and Puget Sound.
I've lost them salmon fishing, halibut fishing, sturgeon fishing and steelhead fishing.
I've lost Danforth, Fisherman and homemade anchors.

Show me a guy who has never lost an anchor and I'll show you a guy who doesn't anchor very much! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Todd » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am

My last lost anchor, unfortunately, was on the Skykomish running a RivTech boat...the same one I was borrowed for a month of fishing on the Sauk the spring before. The owner of the company and boat was with us, and we...I...tried to anchor in a long and deep run to put out some divers and plugs for Chinarks...

Foot on the pedal, releasing line now and again...both oars pumping to get it to hang...and next thing I know, the entire rope is gone, along with the anchor. Ooops.

We spend an hour trying to catch the anchor rope, no luck. So far as I know, there's still a 35# anchor and 75 feet of rope laying in the bottom of that hole.

Those are the only two I've managed to lose in my life...so far. At least I got the first one back ;)

Fish on...

Todd
Todd
Pollywog

Postby Fivesrlimit » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I have one anchor on the bottom of the Skagit river and one somewhere on Hwy 9 between the Skagit and Bellingham. Forget to put the pin in the can while driving and heard a big "thump". Didn't do any damage to the boat thankfully, but did tear some lights off my trailer.
Fivesrlimit
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey...I remember that anchor! I know how you like to exaggerate Todd...the anchor was only 18 pounds and the exact paint scheme was "Short Bus Yellow" :lol:

I found that anchor at Rockport one day several years prior and held onto it for just that reason. Hopefully it's cluttering up someone elses garage now.

How I miss spring on the Skagit system!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Lost one through the shuwah rapids on the duc 5-6 years ago. Anchor rope slipped out of the cleat. Never in my life have i moved so fast to grab a knife and cut the rope. Learned and big lesson that day. Hey Todd, Im pretty sure I know who you are. Really appreciate your customer service and how fast you are. Ordered and bunch of sickle siwash's from you to swap out on a bunch of my spoons. You guys are great.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Robbo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm glad you were so quick to cut that rope Brandon. That could have been very bad my friend. Good thinkin man!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Brandon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Ya that day made me really respect those OP rivers a bit more. Put a nice shiner on the side of my boat that day. Way better then swampin the back end though. Matter of fact I gotta couple dents on the old DB. They all got names to. I gotta Shuwah shinner, Dbl Rapids dent, a hatchery drift dent. Every one holds a special place in my heart. :lol:
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Todd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks, Brandon!

Fish on...

Todd
Todd
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion