Boat Inspections

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Boat Inspections

Postby adipose clipper » Mon May 30, 2011 5:19 am

As we move into the fishing season now is a good time to get you boat inspected by the Aux Coast Guard. The inspections are free, no tickets for problems, and you get a sticker good for the next 12 months. Generally speaking the Coast Guard doesn't bother the boats with stickers.

Four years ago I had a volenteer from the Aux Squad come to our dock and 3 of got boats inspected. I failed for a non working fire extingisher and proper plackers. Most of the guys on the dock we embarrased to have the inspector come on thier boats. (they knew they had problems)

This year 12 guys had their boats inspected and everyone passed. It has become the "in thing" to have our boats inspected so we don't get bothered while we fish

When you think about it, inspections are a no brainer.

Why in the world would you take your wife, friends, and grandkids out on a boat that you knew was not safe???

:mrgreen:

ac
adipose clipper
Pollywog

Re: Boat Inspections

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 am

That's a great suggestion, any suggestions on contacting those guys, do they have certain days, or can we get together with them at certain functions? Seems like I remember them having some deal at Coulon Park a few years ago.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby adipose clipper » Mon May 30, 2011 12:07 pm

I am not a member but here is a list of people you can call. They have ongoing functions and they will come to you upon request

http://www.safetyseal.net/GetVSC/lookup_examiners.asp

attached is the chechlist which they will use.

http://forms.cgaux.org/archive/a7012.pdf

Tips for passing

1) Be prepared, Have all you paperwork, fire extingishers, flares out and ready for inspection
2) Check your light prior to inspection. Most failures our non working anchor lights
3) If you have an inboard clean your arrestor prior to the inspection

Good luck

ac
adipose clipper
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Here we go, I smell a Tobeck "Safety blog" coming! :lol:

Just kidding, it's s great idea! You don't have to look back any farther than the tragedy on the shrimp opener to realize that when you're on the water it's serious business.

When things go bad, it's seems like problems come in pairs and "Murphy's" travel in bunches. One problem onboard can be handled but when an injury occurs along with a mechanical problem...now you're in harms way.

A Coast Guard Auxilliary inspection can help point out aspects that you may not have considered and like the housewife that feels like she "must clean up before the maid gets here", you'll probably feel like cleaning up a few things before the inspection...which is a good thing 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby t_dub » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:43 pm

if you are in the Everett area, the Coast Guard Auxillary are doing the VSC's this and next Saturday at Dagmar's. I think they said 8-4, but you might want to call Dagmar's to double check.
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion