Anchoring for Butts in the straits

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Anchoring for Butts in the straits

Postby joechiro30 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:47 pm

I have a tomcatt 255 which is about 27 feet. It's a power cat. I wanted to anchor in the straits successfully. What anchor styles are the best for the straits for ledges and drop offs and bottom where halibut lie?
I do have a windlass type of anchor system on the bow of the boat but seem to be limited to about 300 feet of anchor rode. I plan to switch to a bruce type of anchor. I can get away with anchoring 150 or less with my windlass but deeper than that I'd like to use an anchor buoy puller system with much more line and an anchor that can keep me on the pic.
I wanted to use an anchor pulley system with a buoy and if I was to anchor at 150 to 300 feet. How much line, chain and heavy an anchor should I use? Should I never anchor that deep? How deep can I safely anchor on an average tide and wind?

I am going to Harbor Marine in Everett soon to help me but I wanted to know your guys opinion.

Thanks,

Joe
joechiro30
Pollywog

Re: Anchoring for Butts in the straits

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey Joe,
You're right on the money with a Bruce style of anchor and for your boat, don't go much less than a 27 pounder. If you're using an anchor float, make sure your chain is 3/8 Proof Coil and that your length of chain is a couple pounds heavier than your anchor.
You can safely anchor in 400 feet or more with a 500' rope and look for bulges on the banks.
You'll find halibut on those bulges and you'll find experienced help at Harbor Marine!
Good luck! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion