Action Disc's????

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Action Disc's????

Postby Robbo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Has anyone every tried using these these action discs in front of their hoochies or spoons? These guys sent me a note about their tackle and these things look like they would work pretty darn good for both coho and Chinook. Here's a link

http://www.wigglefin.com/salmon_rigging.html

Thoughts :?: :?: :?: :?:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Action Disc's????

Postby kurtmiller » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:13 pm

I've seen those and been tempted to try them but haven't yet. Hopefully some guys have and will report... may try 'em on silvers this summer.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 am

Hmmm... Interesting...
Were they at the show?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 am

Got an email from them about one of their other products and in digging around their website the Action Discs caught my eye. Trying to get my grubby little hands on some of them to try out ;)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby RonS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:13 pm

I tried them last year, without success. Here is why they didn't work for me... I was fishing with friends on their boat where we always fish metal flashers. As you know, with metal flashers you are looking for "the beat", the slowest speed that provides a rhythmic roll. The "Action Discs" pull hard. Hard enough that I couldn't get my flasher to roll without going way faster than normal, which would have screwed up my fishing partners action. I'm still interested in trying a them in a different application, maybe with an inline flasher.
RonS
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 am

Should have an application in at least some situations.

While kokanee fishing have used a sequin slide down the leader in front of small hoochies, my kokanee flies, plain beads or bare hooks. Adds a nice wiggle to the lure's dance behind the dodger. Have not found much value in their use where there is some natural action in the lure (spoons, spinners, etc.).

Can see action disc being a nice addition to the freshwater sockeye game (Baker, upper Columbia etc.).

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Stonefish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 am

I used the Wigglefin's a bit this past summer while flyfishing off the beaches for coho.
Seems like a decent product and it does add motion to the fly.
They worked best with an unweighted fly. Not much fun to cast when using a clouser or other weighted patterns.

I recently order a very similar product.
http://www.brineflyinnovations.com/
I found these much easier to cast and I like the different size options. I plan to put these to a lot this summer. I've read some glowing reports on these from striper fisherman so we'll see this how the coho like them this summer. Based on last weekends outing I really like the way they move a pattern.
SF
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I bought some chuckle heads a few years ago out of a closeout bin the hoochies they came with were a off color green but I used them and had good luck on coho with them also tried the disk in front of a bait strip that was "nasty"
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby wigglefin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 pm

RonS wrote:I tried them last year, without success. Here is why they didn't work for me... I was fishing with friends on their boat where we always fish metal flashers. As you know, with metal flashers you are looking for "the beat", the slowest speed that provides a rhythmic roll. The "Action Discs" pull hard. Hard enough that I couldn't get my flasher to roll without going way faster than normal, which would have screwed up my fishing partners action. I'm still interested in trying a them in a different application, maybe with an inline flasher.

RonS,

The ActionDisc is designed for use with in-line flashers. We will have a larger disc available this summer that is better suited for running big meat rigs and hootchies at slower speeds.
wigglefin
Pollywog

Postby Salty Spoon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:35 pm

A couple years ago I fished with a guide on Lake Chelan and he used the wiggle disc in front of a ace hi fly baited with a strip of pike minnow. We ended up catching a bunch of lakers on the set up. The concept seems similar to the wiggle hoochie. He also told me he also uses it in front of a wooly bugger for Rufus Woods rainbows. I think Hooked on Toys in Wenatchee sells them.

Probably could use one in front of ace hi or bucktail fly with a mooching sinker for a great top water silver option.
Salty Spoon
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion