We need action by 5pm today 3/17

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

We need action by 5pm today 3/17

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 pm

I need you and everyone you know to send an email to these senators to get this derelict net bill passed. It's SB 5661 and it has to be voted on by today at 5 or it is dead. Don't let this happen, I know it's not perfect but it's a step in the right direction.

lisa.brown@leg.wa.gov
tracey.eide@leg.wa.gov
scott.white@leg.wa.gov
sharon.nelson@leg.wa.gov

Feel free to copy and paste the letter that I sent.

Dear Senators,

SB 5661 was pulled out of the Senate Rules Committee this morning and is now eligible to be voted on by the entire Senate. This vote needs to take place by 5pm today March 7th or it will be dead. This bill would make it mandatory for gillnet fisherman to report their lost or abandoned nets. As it currently sits gillnetters are encouraged to report but unfortunately since this program was created in 2003 only two nets have been reported and estimates by NW Straits put the number of nets lost annually at more than twenty. This can’t continue, since this rule has been in affect we have seen numerous species of rockfish and salmon listed and threatened or endangered and the biggest offender has been derelict gillnets. Not only do these nets kill vast quantities of fish every year, they also continue to kill marine mammals and birds as well. Each net will continue to offend for 50 plus years unless reported and recovered, this can’t keep happening. If any other industry was responsible for the wasteful termination of so much of our wildlife and resources it would be regulated out of business. Unfortunately this has occurred out of site and it is time for the Senate of the State of Washington to stand up and do something very simple and pass SB 5661.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Re: We need action by 5pm today 3/17

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks Robbie!
I've emailed all the above legislators as well as Sen. Steve Hobbs of Lake Stevens.
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Jerm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Done. Really easy to do.
Jerm
Pecker Trout

Postby Morgan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Sorry Robbie got home and went strait out in the yard without checking my emails. I hope it still gets done.
Morgan
Pollywog

Postby Bear » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Nope, sad to say it died before it hit the floor. All is not lost however... time for plan B... look news involving the Commission soon.
Bear
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:24 am

It's too bad it didn't come to a vote! I'm keeping very close score on my local legislators and will support their cause as they support ours!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Smalma » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 am

Nelly -
Taking a page from the environmetnalist play book and developing a "recration score card" would be an excellent idea.

If the various sports clubs, advocaters came out with a ranking of the various state legislators and asked that folks consider thier track records when it comes election time. As important as how we vote would be what campiagns would recieve our $$$. State wide Contributions to strong recreational supportors and more importnatly contributions for the opponents of recreation enemies could send power messages.

In the long run that might be the only way to lay the foundation for recreational community with a strong political voice.

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 am

Roger that Curt!
How about joining us on the show Saturday to discuss that, your upcoming DU banquet and the dike/tide gate removal on Ebey Slough and the Skagit???
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Brandon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Damn I wish I woulda saw this yesterday!! I always try to do what I can with this stuff.
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks to all that replied to the many requests for emails on this one. I don't know what to say other than nobody showed up in opposition to this one in the public testimony and it is shocking to me that this step was not taken by the legislature. All I can say is that I will never give up when it comes to standing up for recreational anglers and the politicians in this state need a real education when it comes to our issues. It is time for them to represent us or loose their jobs!!
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion