Finally!

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Finally!

Postby Brandon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 am

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

Im polishing up my spinners as I type this! 50cal
Brandon
Metalhawg

Re: Finally!

Postby Nelly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:07 pm

It's gonna be EPIC when they go on the drop...
Whaddya think? about a week?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Smalma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm

It has been "epic" for the last 6 weeks!

This wonderful weather and low stream flows have been ideal for chasing sea-run cutthroat. That will end with this rain.

Hit a favorite "S" river this morning for a last fling before the rain. Had only 4 hours to fish and after careful thought decided to hit 3 spots; with drive and hike in times that gave me roughly 1 hour at each.

If indeed this is the last cutthroat trip of the season it has finished with a dream ending! The first spot produced excellent fishing and before leaving I worked down to where a couple coho had been rolling. After a few casts I had a savage take and for several minutes thought I had one of the coho on the end of the line. Finally saw the fish - a cutthroat! It taped just short of 21 inches; the best fish of the season. 8 or 10 casts later had another savage take and the sea-run went to the air; clearing the water 7 times; it taped a bit over 19 inches. The morning was off to a great start!

The second sport also produced double digit cutts and as I work into the heart of the run had a heavy take followed by a silver explosion. 4 or 5 jumps later and 3 runs that taxed the 5 weight I slide a chrome sea lice covered 30 inch coho to the beach - the best river caught coho of season!

The third spot was a bit of a let down - how could it match the first two? It produced only a handful of cutthroat the the best being a strong 18 incher!

Sorry no pictures so it all may have been just a dream - if so please do not wake me.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Robbo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:41 am

That is simply amazing cutty fishing Smalma...I'm jealous man. Whenever I used to fish cutt's in the fall up there I would never see a single soul on the river. Super, super fun and my gawd they are great fighters on a 5 weight.

One of the reasons I bought this jet boat was so I can hit the beaches for cutty's down here in the South Sound. Dad and I used to fish them all the time growing up and I'd love to be able to get him back out again. It's nothing like fishing the "S" rivers, but I'll take what I can get down here in Pugetropolis.

Hope the good fishing continues for you thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bucket » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:09 am

What Robbo said--the first time!!
Bucket
Pecker Trout