Mooching Rod recommendation

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Mooching Rod recommendation

Postby LisaMarie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 am

I'm looking for some advice on a good mooching rod. Like to keep it under 200.00 but willing to spend more of it makes sense. Also would it be OK to use as a jigging / dart rod or is that a different animal?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Mooching Rod recommendation

Postby Nelly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 am

Hey LM,
As far as I'm concerned mooching and jigging require two different sticks altogether...
A jig rod is required to lift a jig with minimal effort and have the backbone to set the hooks hanging on the lead jig deeply into the grill of a salmon. Think 7'6' one-piece 15-50 lb rods.

A mooching rod on the other hand needs the length and forgiveness to allow a wary chinook to mouth the bait without feeling the rod flex. I like a 9'6" to 10'6" rod for mooching.

Perhaps our resident Mooch Master Robbo Endsley can weigh in on the subject wave
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Robbo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:36 am

Check out the Lamiglas 1308-T Salmon Moocher. I've used them for years here in Alaska and they are perfect for both silvers and kings. I like the 8'6" model...easier to handle especially in a smaller boat. That's my .02 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby t_dub » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 am

gonna second what Rob said about the 1308. Was lucky enough to fish with him up there at the end of June using those rods and they are phenomenal!!!!!!!!
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Smalma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 am

I too like an 8 foot 6 inch rod (fishing out of 16 foot boat) for my mooching rod.

Here in the Puget Sound my preference would be a medium action rod rated for 8 to 12 pound lines. That is a bit lighter than what Robbo is using in Alaska but then our fishing and fish are a bit different here. I think the lamiglass model that would be a 1306.

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion