Down Rigger Basics

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Down Rigger Basics

Postby Eddy C » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 am

Lets get a Down Rigger Techniques post going. There are lots of good downrigger fishers on here. So feel free to chime in. I have had down riggers on and off for 30 or 40 years, but being a moocher I never used them much until now. I thought they would be in the way for fighting a fish.

I wanted to take in Nelly's seminar dirty down riggin tricks but my schedule didn't work. Now fishing is on us so it's learn as you go. I'm catching fish, but not as many as I think I should.

I was fishing way to far back. So I'm shorting that up to 10'. My releases were too long so I shortened one to 44" [little short of the boom] one is at 16". I'll be back at it Tues. thru whenever.

So lets hear it.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Re: Down Rigger Basics

Postby Rock Dog » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

The best tip I got from Professer Nelly at his seminar was to make sure your fishing in front of the downrigger and make sure your releases are at least as long as the boom on your downriggers.I moved the cannon back and purchased proper length releases that hook to the cable and my life with downriggers is so much more enjoyable now.I'll be back at it Tuesday also see ya out there. wave
Rock Dog
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 pm

I think one of the most important aspects of successful downrigger fishing is paying attention to your elecrtronics and putting your balls where the fish are!

Often, salmon "hugging the rug" or swimming close to the bottom will not mark very distinctly so if I'm not seeing fish, my default fishing depth is on the bottom!

Keep in mind that water friction on your wire or braid will keep you fishing shallower than the depth indicated on the 'rigger's counter. If you're serious about fishing the bottom, the only way to know how deep your balls are...is to bounce them on the bottom! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock Dog » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 pm

I'll be bouncing the balls boss,bouncing the balls!!!!!! thumbup
Rock Dog
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Another thought with respect to bait size.
The versatile salmon angler needs to always be aware of the prominent forage fish in the area and be equipped to mimic several species with a differing array of spoons, hoochies, plugs and bait holders.
If there's herring present they tend to show up suspended, off the bottom. Candlefish will generally be found just off the bottom but not always.
High-definition electronics will definitely help species ID the bait but look for other clues as well.
Look for baitfish in the beaks of birds, jumping around your boat and always, always in the first fish you catch!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Smalma » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:39 pm

The basics of downrigging varies significantly depending on the species being targeted and/or the situation.

We tend to focus on Chinook fishing but here in the PNW downriggers are wonderful tools for a variety of species including such critters sockeye, kokanee, macks, and even coho. For may of the non-Chinook often paying strict attention to your electronics is more important than bouncing the bottom.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby king me » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 am

also make sure u use the right size(weight) downrigger balls. the PUG has some nasty currents so I would say 12lb is the min. as far as the riggers getting in the way of a fish fight. Clear the riggers if the fish is big enough to, if not keep fishing. I run my gear about 20' back from the ball and that seems to be working pretty well. If im using dodgers than I shorten that up to 10'-15'. FISH ON thumbup
king me
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion