new crab trap

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: new crab trap

Postby Nelly » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 am

Better late than never,... As promised, here are the Stearns Nesting Pots!

So far this season, these new pots have been my top producing crab gear!
Apot.jpg
Apot.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 5628 times

A combination of mesh on top and welded stainless base make getting to your catch and re-baiting a breeze.
apotopen.jpg
apotopen.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 5628 times

The most endearing aspect of these new pots is the nesting feature. When you open the mesh top, the entry tunnels collapse allowing you to stack three or four of pots in the space of one!
apotnest.jpg
apotnest.jpg (59.11 KiB) Viewed 5628 times

Thanks for the opportunity to try these out George! Now, can we get Tobeck some so he doesn't have to borrow mine??? :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 am

Went to Nelly's last night and sampled some of that crab as well, mmmmm good
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Bear » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Ingenious design; I can also see a huge advantage for storing them during the off season. I have collapsible pots but I never break them down, even in the off season, because it’s too much trouble to take out the weight and bait boxes and then what do you do with the line? They end up using valuable real estate in my shop.

It would be interesting to do a season long comparison against the old square pots. I’d be more than happy to do the comparison :mrgreen: .

If the price point is right, I really think these might appeal to the recreational crowd more so than the commercial crowd. I think it’s a winner.
Bear
Pollywog

Postby Junior26 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 am

Any chance you want to sell some of the pre-production models you have been producing as a hobby?
Junior26
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Nelly still hasn't given mine back to me :evil:
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby gstearns » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 pm

Bear wrote:It would be interesting to do a season long comparison against the old square pots

I fished a 2 tunnel nesting trap version next to a box trap last summer. Anecdotaly I can say that the catch rates were similar. The newer version has 3 tunnels so it is possible that it fishes better than a box trap, but a fairly involved test would be required to say one way or another.

For catch-ability the box traps are actually tough to beat. Where the nesting trap excels over the box trap is in the practice of crabbing, they make it very easy. The troubles with box traps you mentioned were the reason I wanted something different.

They are currently best suited for recreational use. They are designed to minimize setup and deployment time.
gstearns
Pollywog

Postby baddawg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Let me know when you have some available, those are sweet! I have a 17ft Arima so like most smaller boat owners space is a premium. I have folding traps now, but frankly never fold them because it is a pain to take out bait boxes, weight, line, etc.. these traps would solve the space problem.
baddawg
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:30 pm

The issue with box traps is soak time.
As long as you have good bait that the dungies can keep chewing on they will stay put in the 4-door box.

As soon as the bait is gone, so are the crab. The collapsable Stearns Pots have true entry tunnels that make it a lot harder for the crabs to find the exit! ;)
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby gstearns » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 am

Junior26 wrote:Any chance you want to sell some of the pre-production models you have been producing as a hobby?

I hope to have some more prototypes available later this summer. In the meantime I am trying to get people in the fishing gear manufacturing industry to take a look at it.
gstearns
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Since there has been so much interest in these new, killer crab pots, I'm bumping this topic back to the top!
Wayne Kruse mentioned these in his Everett Herald column last Thursday and since then I've had to answer a few questions!

In this thread you'll find pics and a video detaining these great new, space-saving crab gear! gears
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

PreviousNext

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion