WDFW Giveth and the Forest Service Taketh Away,,,

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: WDFW Giveth and the Forest Service Taketh Away,,,

Postby Fishnut » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:09 am

I just sat through your radio show listening the forest ranger that was on. I cannot believe the disconnect between our governent agencies and the general public. While we fund them through taxes, they try and take away the publics access. The lakes are public property and for us to use. They work for us and should be finding ways to accomodate us and not restrict us. As I understand Baker Lake is not over run and they are trying to stop people from being able to use guides that are teaching people to fish. Gearing up for a problem that is not there.

Fishing is an American tradition just like baseball, football, and apple pie. Why are so many against american traditions such as fishing?
Fishnut
Pollywog

Postby LisaMarie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 am

Well there you have it, now the reality of it for me is. I would have liked to utilized a guide for this fishery. Now I will either bring my 20' Fiberform with a 350 GM engine it it and likely have to use a few more gallons of fuel to try and figure out this fishery vs using a professional guide. My other choice is I have an older Livingston with a 1970 20hp johnson on it, we call it "Old Smokey". My point being that both of these boats are going to have a more negative impact on the lake's environment vs most guide's have a newer boat with recent outboards that are cleaner burning and more friendly to our Northwest waters. So the Forestry Offical basically said that they had a lot of use of their facility, now they had to do their job and they are bitching about it.... I wish I could go to work and tell my Boss there is just too much work here I want to stop or slow down production so I dont have to do my job....
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 am

Isn't the point of having this fishery to attract people to this great PUBLIC RESOURCE!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby t_dub » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:51 am

my question is how long does it take them to "assess" this situation? they've had since last august and now it seems like they make a knee-jerk reaction decision in these last few weeks. didn't realize that ranger district had so much on their plate that this "overwhelming" problem they had last year took so little precidence that it sounds like it wasn't thought about until just recently. he talked about "assessing" the situation in the future. Well if they can't "assess" their issues from last season in 9 months how long of assessment period do they need? three years???? oh yeah, and there's that little technicality he seemed to keep flat out ignoring; none of these guides used any Forest Service facilities so they had ZERO impact on his problems. Their solution, rent a boat from one of the licensed operations on the lake and go out yourself. Wonder who those operations pay to get their license to rent boats........Forest Service might be a good guess. Now if those operations have to expand to meet demand, I'm gonna guess those licensing fees go up = more $$$ for the Forest Service. Hmmmmmm?
Last edited by t_dub on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby ripalip » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:52 am

I just listened to the pod cast from this mornings show... I as so pissed I can't see straight. First I have to say awesome job to both Nelly and Robbie on calling this fool out.
Just because Jon got caught with his pants down last year, this action is going to make it all better? This guy is so disconnected it is unreal. I guess his cushie desk job has kept him from seeing what's really happening to our business and how much money we bring to the local economy. I will be sending Norm Dicks a email as well as Cantwell and Murry. If this is how my tax dollars are being spent, I want them back.......
Fox Island Salmon Charters
St Croix Pro Staff
Qcove Pro staff
ripalip
Pollywog

Postby JohnnyCoho » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Great show this morning by the way Big Tom and Tobeck.. "Bravo-Zulu" as we used to say in the military. (Military "Atta-Boy")

Being a military "Operation Desert Storm" Veteran myself this ought to rile up some more feathers amongst the angling community... and hopefully even further up:

So basically like I said in my first post, "Isn't this discrimination?" ... and isn't the following just downright Un-American?!?!... I have quite a few Military Veterans that I take out fishing quite often and even a few Disabled Veterans that certainly cannot enjoy this fishery "without" the help of a guide. I even have two combat disabled Veterans that I already "had" pre-booked for a date on the Baker Lake Sockeye Fishery. One a Vietnam Veteran Sea-Bee that fishes with me all the time with his wife. He can barely get around now, even with his two canes and I have to help lift him in and out of the boat every time... But he's a hoot to fish with and one of my absolute favorite clients. (Gary if you read this, sorry again I lost that big King you hooked on the June 1st opener with me while trying to assist)
Then I have another disabled Veteran Client that just recently returned from Afghanistan and wants nothing more to go fishing on Baker Lake with me.
What do I tell them now?
Or even one of my all time best clients, (pretty much family now) a retired Seattle Police Officer that got to enjoy the Sockeye Fishery with me last year for a week and already has his days re-booked for this year too. (Pics of Frank all over my site's Blog)

Maybe the District Ranger should call them up for me and thank them for their service to their country and then apologize to them for not allowing them to enjoy and use the natural resources set aside for all Americans use on "United States Forest Service" land!

Then he can call me up and thank me for my service and my families military service to this country and apologize for not being able to provide my guide services to the rest of the American people out there wanting to enjoy land set aside for their use too. And then he can apologize to me for not being able to make an honest living doing what I love to do and having the freedom to make that choice to be a guide in the first place.

Sorry, I don't pull the American Veteran card often and am proud of my service to this country and all others that served and still serve as well. Figured if some of you are willing to bring this up to some of our elected officials, I'd load you up with a full magazine for the fight.. ;)

Anyone know a good attorney that likes to fish and is willing to take on the Feds? Will trade trips for good representation. ;)
John's Guide Service
http://www.johns-guide-service.com
http://www.facebook.com/johnsguideservice
(360) 708 - 3166
Wounded Warriors In Action Foundation Lead Associate and NW Field Coordinator
JohnnyCoho
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:21 pm

I wish they would have held a public meeting or something in the spring to get all the user groups together. This is such a bizarro deal. Does anyone here know how many guides fished Baker Lake legally last summer? 6,8,10...50...100???
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Reel Deal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 am

Rob

The answer to your question is 3.

Ryan
Now Booking & Fishing Puget Sound Blackmouth, Also Booking Columbia River Spring Chinook www.reeldealguideservice.com
Reel Deal
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:57 am

I wish I would have known about the vets not being able to fish. I think that everyone should get in touch with their representative and Rick Larsen who represents that district. If we don't inform them then aften they have no idea what's going on. This not only restricts public access but it hurts small business and tourism. As always, be direct but be courteous.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 am

I'm going to call the Ranger tomorrow and politely ask him to reverse his position on the Baker Lake Guide Ban.

In fairness, he needs to look out the window and see the storm clouds heading his way so I'm going to give him a little political "meteorological forecast".

I think he is basically a good guy who has been tasked with a challenging situation and is proceeding with limited resources and bad information.

Here's hoping in view of all the facts that he will make the right decision.
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

PreviousNext

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion