San Juan Opener!!

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

San Juan Opener!!

Postby Eddy C » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 am

This is almost like waiting for x-mas when you are a little kid ;) Can hardly wait. Hope the wind ain't blowin.

Nelly where are you and Salmonhawk fishin :?: I'll honk when I see you it will be pretty hard to miss the redboat.

Good luck every one.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Re: San Juan Opener!!

Postby Eddy C » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

Question for Nelly and any one?
When is it too windy to go to the Juans?

This was written by a guy we all know.
If Salmon Bank has a fault; it would be its exposure to weather. It is susceptible to afternoon winds blowing down the Strait of Juan De Fuca and/or winds out of the south or east. Because Salmon Bank’s reef extends far out into the straits, a tide change, coupled with a wind in the opposite direction can kick up some rough water. It’s certainly not a place to be during a storm or strong winds.

Lime Kiln Point is located about 4 miles west of Pile Point.

However this area is very exposed to the weather and it is a long run to sheltered water.
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Dan Carney » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 am

Eddy,
Where do you plan on starting? Looking at the tides I will most likely start at Thatcher Pass or the south side of Tide point.
I am most easily recognised by my red haired fishin buddy, in my Tracker aluminum boat. What are you fishing out of?
As far as fishing the SJ, a lot depends on your boat and seamanship skills. the Straight and Rosario channel can get pretty rough at times, especially if the wind is blowing against the tides. On the other hand, frequently you can find a good spot in the lea of one of the islands to fish until it settles down. My rule of thumb is to go out in 2 foot or less seas. My boat and abilities can handle much more, but I like to save some reserve for coming in in case it gets rough. the forecast for Fri and Sat is great.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Eddy C » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 am

Howdy Dan
The plan as of now is to fish the banks. Maybe a little at Lime Kiln.

What are you fishing out of?
19' Glasply

My rule of thumb is to go out in 2 foot or less seas

Good rule.
Good luck
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Eddy C wrote:This is almost like waiting for x-mas when you are a little kid ;) Can hardly wait. Hope the wind ain't blowin.

Nelly where are you and Salmonhawk fishin :?: I'll honk when I see you it will be pretty hard to miss the redboat.

Good luck every one.

I hear you Eddy! I'm fired up too! As far as where we're headed?

Deciding where to fish is always a matter of the tides and the forecast. The Anacortes tides are calling for a 7.5 at 0400hrs, running out to a -2.5 at 1115hrs.
Let's take a look at the forecast:
PZZ133-292215-
NORTHERN INLAND WATERS INCLUDING THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS-
1030 AM PDT WED JUN 29 2011
THU NIGHT...SW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
FRI...S WIND 10 TO 15 KT BECOMING SW IN THE EVENING. WIND WAVES 1 OR 2 FT.

On a big ebb, Rosario's current runs from north to south. Winds are named for the direction they come from so we have the wind blowing against the tide...gonna be a little bumpy but not bad so the weather should not be a huge issue.

Our over-riding consideration is the tides and we need to concentrate on ebb spots. My favorite run-out spots are Guemes Channel, Tide Point, the east side of Thatcher Pass close in to Blakely Island and Eagle Bluff at the bottom of the tide.

That being said,... I'm going to start off in south Rosario Strait and work my way north!

As far as the "How rough is too rough" issue goes, it's completely an issue of you and your boat's abilities. I strictly adhere to a simple phrase: "If you have to ask the question, there is no question". In other words, If the conditions cause you to seriously question your safety then the answer is "NO".

Remember, no fish is worth an unexpected swim... or worse...

Good luck, I hope to see you out there and if you see me, come on over and say hi!

If Tobeck has a fish on, please run very close and take some pictures. The best camera angles are generally when you can place the camera boat between the angler and his fish. On the other hand if I have a fish on, keep clear. I'm not nearly as photogenic as Tobeck... :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Might as well run over my fish, with Nelly's net skills I'll be amazed if we get the thing in the boat.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Ouch,... I resemble that remark! :D
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Eddy C » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Salmonhawk wrote:Might as well run over my fish, with Nelly's net skills I'll be amazed if we get the thing in the boat.

Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby LisaMarie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 am

See you guys there, I'll be camping at a buddies property due north of Cap Sante on Guemes Island. I will be in an Old Orange Fiberform " Lisa Marie" stop by and say hello. will be listening on VHF 68. I Plan on hitting Tide Point, I haven't fishing SJ's much, I'm thinking of maybe going to Thatchers first. Not sure yet but should be a good time. Anyone one else want to share info post your call sign and monitor 68 call for Lisa Marie and I will be happy to share.
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby LisaMarie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 am

Or email from a Phone I will check email to...billallan_98272@hotmail.com
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion