The Ice Man

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

The Ice Man

Postby haus_bh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:38 am

THE ICE MAN

By Capt. Blake

Leaving the dock in Craig, AK at first light, I keep thinking to myself, "This is going to be a great day." The sun is just about to peak out over the mountains and it is going to be another beautiful day in SE AK. After cruising for about 30 minutes I realize it is time to make a decision. Do I stop by the "tree" or should I head to the "tip" or to "seine rock" or "pineapple"? There are just too many potentially good spots. As I pass the tree and get to the tip, I look out to the ocean and realize it is flat calm out there and decide to head down the line to pineapple.

As I near the spot, I can’t believe how good this spot looks. Whales, birds, dozens of eagle. As I shut the outboards off and start the kicker, I look at the fish finder and think there is no way all of those marks are salmon, they must be sea bass. Confused, I think there is no way those are sea bass. We aren’t even close to where they live. As quickly as we can all 4 rods in the water we have fish on. A quad on the first drop. Awesome. I quickly realize we have to silvers and two kings. After doing the over and under routine, all 4 fish are in the boat. Fresh cut plugs are put back on and BAM. Another quad. This is amazing. After a half hour of constant double, triples and quads, I think to myself I should get on the radio and call someone. Then I realize most of the other boats are out of range so I decide to against it. The sounder is still lit up like a Christmas tree. We keep catching fish.

About an hour later, we need just a few more fish to be limited out. I keep thinking "wow, 2 hours, 24 cohos and 4 nooks, does it get any better?" At that exact moment I look up and low and behold, another boat. As the boat gets closer, there is no way we can hide the fact we are doubled up, chasing fish. A couple minutes later I realize it is North River heading for us and it has a blue stripe. It is the Polar Bear.

After landing our fish we kicker back into the spot where the Polar Bear is in an epic battle with a might pink salmon. I give quick thumbs up to the captain of the PB not just because he caught a pink but he is in the right spot. As we fire the cut plugs down again, we only need 2 more silvers and we are outta there. Looking at the screen I think it must be broken. It is absolutely blank. What the heck is going on? Half hour later, still nothing. Passing by the PB I ask the captain, "Where did they all go?" He looks at me like I am crazy. "Where did all of what go?' he responds. I told him it was a wide open bite until he showed up. "Well, looks like I iced another hot bite" says the PB captain. Thus, the Ice Man was born.

*****Disclaimer *****
* Some of the above story is true. Some parts are false. I will let you decide.
* The name of the captain was withheld to protect his identity.

Rob, couple more weeks and its show time. Looking forward to another summer of "fun".

Blake, c.a.k 5
haus_bh
Pollywog

Re: The Ice Man

Postby Bucket » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:08 am

Great Story Blake, and I believe every word of it. Sorry he messed up your bite.
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:31 am

LMFAO! Did you see the size of that stink salmon though...it was HUGE :roll:

Thank god you guys are out there Blakester or we wouldn't know where to go :D

One last thing...where's Pineapple :?: :?: :?: :?:
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I don't think even Robbo 'Iceman" Endsley will be able to "cool" SE AK this summer! :lol:

The coastal fishery this summer from Sitka to Nootka down to the Washington is shaping up to be one for the books! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:37 am

Weird, he never mentioned that story.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Boat Nazi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Just remember, I own the "Tip". Thanks for catching all those river maggots "Humpies" it allows those Big Nooks to inhale my cut plugs in the prop wash!!!!!!!!!! And yes Robbo, those rain pants makes your ass look big........ Hot Rod aka: CAK666
The Women of Craig make me look Skinny
Boat Nazi
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun May 01, 2011 7:03 am

Oh my goodness!
"One fish Rod" the boat cleanliness Nazi makes an appearance on the board!
What the matter Rod? Tired of lurking?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby haus_bh » Sun May 01, 2011 7:51 am

A lurker????? Thats the nicest thing anyone has ever called him!!!!
haus_bh
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sun May 01, 2011 3:53 pm

There will be no fun aboard this vessel. Is that understood :!: :!:

rodney_web2.jpg
rodney_web2.jpg (93.61 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby AkKings » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Boat Nazi wrote:Just remember, I own the "Tip". Thanks for catching all those river maggots "Humpies" it allows those Big Nooks to inhale my cut plugs in the prop wash!!!!!!!!!! And yes Robbo, those rain pants makes your ass look big........ Hot Rod aka: CAK666

You damn sure owned it last year Hot Rod, how's about giving the rest of us a chance this year ;-) See you guys on a kelp line somewhere in a few weeks. WF18 :mrgreen:
AkKings
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion