2013 Salmon Opportunities

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

2013 Salmon Opportunities

Postby 4stroke » Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

New member here. I have been out of salmon fishing long enough to loose touch with the ebb and flow of the seasons. I have a new boat and can't wait to bonk some fish this year. My problem is, that as I pour over the regs I am trying to figure out what are some of the legitimately good opportunities to boat some salmon and in what areas. As I said I have lost touch with the run timing for a lot of the places. Just trying to maximize that all important and preciuos vacation time. Would appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks
4stroke
Pollywog

Re: 2013 Salmon Opportunities

Postby Nelly » Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm

First off, welcome aboard 'stroke!
I'm thrilled to be able to honestly tell you that you've picked a great year to invest in Puget Sound Salmon angling.

I know the topic on the table is salmon but since May salt-water salmon opportunities are a bit scarce in the Sound I don't want you to forget about ling-cod. Marine Area 9 is very solid for these toothy, tasty critters and it's a great way to work the bugs out of a new boat...and trust me...there will be bugs. Lings are open in Puget Sound until June 15th.

By the way, Bookmark this link to the official WDFW saltwatern regulations:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/2013-2014_marine_saltwater.pdf

June one brings us the Marine Area (MA) 10 catch and release chinook season which is open north of a line Point Monroe to Meadow Point.

July first brings the MA 9 & 10 salmon opener which allows you to take resident coho and c&r chinook. Also July first is the MA 7 San Juan Island opener...Should be great and I'll be there!

July 16th will bring the much awaited MA 9 & 10 selective chinook opener which should provide one of the best hatchery saltwater action in the state.

As this is a humpy year and 6.1 million of these critters have recieved an "invitation" to the party, I'm fairly certain that some will show up early. Pink reports will start filtering in by late July and by the second week of August....game on Bro.

Last year's coho fishery was one for the books and if your freezer isn't full to bursing by September... It will be shortly thereafter!

I hope this helps and if you stay tuned to The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle we'll keep you pointed in the right direction!

Here's hoping you "stroke" some fish on that new ride of yours!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby 4stroke » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Nelly. What about Sekiu and Neah Bay as far as optimum times for Kings?
4stroke
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 am

Our strong salmon opportunities seem to all happen at once!
For Area 4 (Neah Bay), July 4 is a great time to start but the action holds up clear into August!
In fact, the new selective openers (May 10 & 11, 17 & 18 and June 22-28) will be clear indications of how the Neah Bay chinook season will be shaping up.

Sekiu (Area 5) kicks off on July first and it will be smokin' from the opening gun. As far as a peak is concerned, it's tough to pin down but the third week of July would be a great target!
Chris Mohr at Van Riper's Resort is a great contact out there and you can reach him at: 360.963.2334
Tell him "Nelly" at The Outdoor Line sent you thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion