Long lost DR release

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Long lost DR release

Postby Jadeo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:05 pm

I had a release a few years back that was the best thing since Bread. ( bread came before sliced bread ) It was just a standard conection at the cable but the release side had a sort of pulley stetup that the line went around. This would allow you to feed line out while still clipped in it was a great complement to the random depth search mode on the Cannon DRs. I think that it may have been cooked up by sombody doing offshore trolling for the likes of grouper and king macks.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Re: Long lost DR release

Postby trophymac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm

http://www.alltackle.com/release_clips.htm

Could it be the top one on this page?
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby trophymac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Has anyone ever used the Chamberlain releases?
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:31 am

Trophy
the clip in question was much more like the flat line clip at the bottom of the page thanks for the link
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Jadeo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:37 pm

I watched the video on Chamberlain I would be carful with this for anything other that fishing in lakes. It seems to me that the adjustment knobs will cause tangles, heavy current and up and down fishing will only increase the chance of getting twisted up. You just cant go wrong with Scotty , or the offshore style release just my crappy opinion but loosing a fish cause it is fouled around a thumb screw on the release would leave me to float test said release.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby trophymac » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Thought they might work well for Kokanee or Sockeye in the lakes..
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 pm

This thing would be great for kokes you can load the rod enough to flip the little bastards right out of the water.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby trophymac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Now thats funny. Here is a question for all of you: How far from your downrigger ball to the release? I have tried long and short, with the long ones you seem to see more
what is going on but sometimes hard to get out of the clip.. The shorter ones harder to see the shakers...
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Jadeo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I like the short release and a noodle of a rod is important to detect the little ones.
Try setting the rod holder pointing up and forward it will make lite hits easier to see.
Jadeo
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey 'Mac!
Great question and I think you're right on the money with your inclinations regarding downrigger release lengths. thumbup
Generally when you get a release with your new downrigger, it's quite short. Generally less than a foot in length. thumbdown
I fail so see any advantage to shorter release drops. In fact I like to build my own releases and I make them at least as long as my downrigger booms for ease of use.
There is a better reason to use longer releases and as 'Mac mentioned "with the long ones you seem to see more what is going on..."

Here's a diagram with my explanation why longer releases are more advantageous!
aRelease.jpg
aRelease.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

This diagram is a slide from my "Dirty Downrigger Tricks" Powerpoint presentation. As it's almost show season I'll be giving this seminar at the Seattle Boat Show, The Western Washington Sportsman's Show and a few PSA Meetings near you! gears
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion