It's about "dam" time

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

It's about "dam" time

Postby Nelly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 am

The Elwha Dam removal ceremony took place today in Port Angeles.

Congressman Norm Dicks was instrumental in pushing this project forward and was also an original co-sponsor of the legislation passed in 1992 authorizing the removal of the dams and the restoration of the river’s ecosystem—which has largely been protected within the park since it was created in 1938.

Here's a link to the the story:

http://mynorthwest.com/174/546833/Celebration-to-surround-Elwha-dam-removal-in-Wash

Next topic: How do we best repopulate this habitat? Hatchery fish or allow wild fish to naturally colonize the drainage?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: It's about "dam" time

Postby Eli » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:58 pm

It's about time, and this will be nice for the area when this happens
Eli
Pecker Trout

Re: It's about "dam" time

Postby Dan Carney » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I have been following this story very closely because it will greatly influence the debate as to whether they should remove some or all of the dams on the Snake River. What I like about this effort is that they are doing a great job of documentation. They have had divers in the water photographing and cataloging the marine species and envoronment for some time, as they now exist. They will continue to monitor the biological systems in the river and the Straight of Juan de Fuca at the mouth of the river to see what effects this evolution has on this ecosystem. I am greatly interested to see how this turns out. Will it get immediately better, or will all the silt and rubble released down stream choke the life out of the water for months or years.
Standing by...
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion