Has this happened to you?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Has this happened to you?

Postby trophymac » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Posted a report about Poss. came back the the fish checker and both of our Kings had chips. Now this is my first one ever
and she said "this never happens". Guess I should have bought a lottery ticket..
trophymac
Pollywog

Re: Has this happened to you?

Postby Nelly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:10 am

Hey 'Mac,
First off, I'm glad you got into them yesterday! This is one chinook season that has definitely had it's own pace and personality!

When you say "chip" are you refering to an external transmitter or the Coded Wire Tag (or CWT)?

The CWT's are found in the salmon's snout and cause the fish checker's wand to "alert" or "beep".

It really does not seem all that unusual to have a couple of kings in a selective fishery such as ours to be sportin' the CWT.

By the way, when is the BBQ? :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby trophymac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Yep she cut both noses off.. I am going to hit Baker tommorrow so maybe we can have taste off King or Sockeye??
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

As long as the fish checker allowed you to photograph your fish prior to their disfigurement... you're good to go right?

Oftentimes the WDFW personnel will allow you to fill out a form which will allow you to get the CWT information. It's very interesting to get the hatchery location and date of release :ugeek:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby trophymac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 am

Yes we did fill out those forms, will be intersting to see the results..
trophymac
Pollywog

Postby Ffej » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:55 am

Have spent the last month fishing Neah Bay and caught 3 hatchery fish with pins in their noses. All due respect to WDFW, they waste an inordinate amount of money having "fish checkers" stand idly on the docks for hours checking catches. So, what does this have to do with "pins in noses".
Last year, one of these nincompoops found a pin in a fish and after hacking the nose off left the cleaning table only to have a seagull take off with the hacked off nose.
I wish taxpayers had a stronger voice in how our license fee dollars are spent; I would get rid of fish checkers and invest in more hatcheries.
Ffej
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion