Ask Capt "Big Steel" Cook!

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Ask Capt "Big Steel" Cook!

Postby Nelly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Every fisherman has one thing in common: We all want to catch the big one.

I had a chance today to visit Danny Cook in his office at http://wooldridgeboats.com/ in Seattle. What I saw on the walls of his office was the most impressive visual "resume" of 20 to 30 pound steelhead that this old salt has ever seen.

We are featuring Danny on the Radio Show this Saturday to get his take on "Successful Slab Strategies"!

If you have a question for Danny, post it here and I will get it started: So, Capt Cook, what do you look for in a given "run" or section of river that would lead you to believe that you could find a big steelhead there?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Ask Capt "Big Steel" Cook!

Postby cobble cruiser » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Golly...........

First off, you want to know "where and when" to target bigger fish. This doesn't mean the Cowlitz in December. Think September - October for inland summer-runs and Feb.- March for big winter fish. As a general rule most big steelhead will be wild save for a few special strains of hatchery fish on the coast. I would define big steelhead water as deeper say 5'-12' depths with some form of surface chop. Big fish like to use structure to ease the larger haul. Look for big sunken boulder gardens and logjams. Many times you will find larger fish in deep faster water you never dreamed a fish could be resting in. The old rule usually applies as well........high water fish low in the tailouts, low water fish the head of the hole. :)
cobble cruiser
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:30 pm

The old rule usually applies as well........high water fish low in the tailouts, low water fish the head of the hole

Roger that!

Next winter is just a little far out so how about some top river picks for big summer steelhead and perhaps something in the fall. You know...where would you go right now and all that shiznit :)

Whatever you do Danny don't let Tobeck and Nelson talk their way onto your new boat together. Apart...fine! Together...very messy :)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 am

With all the restrictions locally, where's my best shot for a big steelie this next winter? I would assume heading out to the OP but which rivers are known for bigger fish?
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby cobble cruiser » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 pm

SH- All the OP rivers have the biggies in them. Some have a higher ratio than others. I would say, if you're looking for a good opportunity for numbers of big fish, the Sol Duc is pretty hard to beat. However, I think there are some neighbor rivers that have less fish but what I believe to be larger strains of steelhead. The Hoh and Bogachiel would be a good example. Also the several rivers just south of there have some true monsters that are nearly unlandable! Native nets have proven that what could be state records are a regular occurance. In one river specifically in that area, I spoke with a tribal woman who is the director of tribal fisheries. She explained that a few weeks prior, a 38 pound steelhead had hit the nets and it wasn't all that uncommon to see fish of this size! Might want to respool and scale up your gear a bit! :shock:

Believe it or not, if you work some of the classic big fish water on the Skykomish right before it closes you have a shot at some true giants. About a decade ago, I found one of the most beautiful snow white bellied monsters I've ever laid eyes on. That fish was pushing 30 realistically! ..........and no not Oregon 30. ;)

Robbo- If I had to find a big summer run soon I would think about the Skeena River in the Terrace area. Huge river with fresh Babine, Sustut, Kispiox fish inbound for their tribs. All those fish hug the shoreline and can be caught in the slower water out of the main current. Just bring your A plus game. The largest fish in the world in prime fresh form could be the ultimate challenge. Give Noel Gyger a call and he'll set ya up. His number is 250) 635-2568. Another good choice would be the Dean River if you have the funds. The Thompson river if there is fishable numbers is a good one too for some mammoth size fish!
cobble cruiser
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:28 am

Danny is on air with us right now!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion