WDFW Giveth and the Forest Service Taketh Away,,,

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: WDFW Giveth and the Forest Service Taketh Away,,,

Postby Robbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:07 pm

3 guides...even more bizarre. I think your right Nelly. This is so far in left field there has to be some misinformation somewhere along the line. At least I hope that's the case.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby talltails » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 pm

So now I cant guide up there and loose out on 2 weeks + of salary. so the fact I have a guide boat does that mean if I take my family up there in it to enjoy this fishery I am subject to questioning or interigoaion? not worth it.
talltails
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 am

Sounds like the USFS is approaching this issue somewhat the way they deal with cutting Xmas trees. Allow individuals to take advantage of the resource but not those that do so for commercial gain (as individuals we can get a permit to take a tree but the owner of the corner tree lot can not get his inventory that way).

Cetainly sucks for the guides and while the above may not justify the action to eliminate guides for Baker sockeye it may not be as arbitary as it first appeared.

BTW -
The sockeye have not even showed up yet. While we are all hopefully they will be abundant and there will be lots to be caught sockeye have demostrated that returns can be highly variable often showing up at levels well above or below predictions.

Tight lines
Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby salvelinus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Personally, though not a popular opinion on here, I feel that there should be a few fisheries that are not exploited by commercial interests. Baker Lake is a perfect situation for the "weekend" salmon angler. The lake is relatively small, fish are plentiful, sockeye are easy to catch, and access points can accommodate small car-top boats. While I am sure that guide seats will be filled, I dont get the feeling that the USFS decision is excluding the public from a public resource. I dont really have a problem w/ a few guides, but feel that it could be more than a few as the fishery continues to grow and they need to make it an even playing field for all. Just a $0.02 opinion from a weekender.
salvelinus
Pollywog

Postby JohnnyCoho » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Any update for us on the phone call Big Tom?
John's Guide Service
http://www.johns-guide-service.com
http://www.facebook.com/johnsguideservice
(360) 708 - 3166
Wounded Warriors In Action Foundation Lead Associate and NW Field Coordinator
JohnnyCoho
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

Ranger Vanderheyden has been in and out of the office and I have left a message.

When I get a response I will definitely let you know what I find out!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 am

salvelinus wrote:Personally, though not a popular opinion on here, I feel that there should be a few fisheries that are not exploited by commercial interests. Baker Lake is a perfect situation for the "weekend" salmon angler. The lake is relatively small, fish are plentiful, sockeye are easy to catch, and access points can accommodate small car-top boats. While I am sure that guide seats will be filled, I dont get the feeling that the USFS decision is excluding the public from a public resource. I dont really have a problem w/ a few guides, but feel that it could be more than a few as the fishery continues to grow and they need to make it an even playing field for all. Just a $0.02 opinion from a weekender.

I appreciate the difference of opinion and we certainly will not "light up" a guy on this board for disagreement. I do however feel that they should have either put this out last fall and given guides time to plan or waited until it does grow. At this point it is admittedly not a problem.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Previous

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion