Don't Mess with Texas

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Don't Mess with Texas

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu May 26, 2011 9:32 am

Especially if your a cheater...

No more fishy tales! Texas to ban anglers from lying about the size of their catch
By Daniel Bates
There are few anglers who have never told a tall tale about the size of their catch.
But now such fibbing could be made illegal under a law passed in the U.S.
Senators in Texas have approved a bill which makes it crime to ‘misrepresent’ the size, weight or provenance of a fish.

Those caught lying could face a misdemeanour charge or, in the most blatant cases, a more serious felony with fines up to $10,000 and up to 10 years in prison.
The law was brought in primarily to clamp down on lying by anglers in fishing tournaments.

In one infamous case in 2009 an angler put a one-pound lead weight into a bass he had caught and claimed the first prize of a $55,000 fishing boat.

The move, which will cover freshwater and saltwater fishing tournaments, has been broadly welcomed by anglers in Texas.
Fishing guide Tommy Hagler told the New York Times that cheating in tournaments had ‘gotten out of hand’ because cash-strapped anglers were doing anything to get the huge prizes.
‘I think it’s just people who are trying anything to get through this tough time, and trying to survive,’ he said.
The bill was sponsored by Republican senator Glenn Hegar, who said the even though he only fishes recreationally, he could see the need for it.
‘Some people are literally taking scissors and cutting off the tail of a fish to make it fit into a certain category,’ he said.
‘Unfortunately, they’re not playing by the rules.’
He admitted that his colleagues had been mocking him for the bill and told him he was only backing it because he had lost out in a fishing tournament.
‘The harassment has been pretty deep over this one,’ he said.
The law has now been sent to the desk of Texas governor Rick Perry who will decide whether or not to make it law.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Re: Don't Mess with Texas

Postby cobble cruiser » Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm glad I don't live in Texas. I'd be locked up fer life! :shock:
cobble cruiser
Pecker Trout

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion