Fish Smoking question

A general cooking, smoking, barbecuing, and recipes forum on what to do with the catch once it's home.Image

Fish Smoking question

Postby LisaMarie » Fri May 27, 2011 9:59 am

I have two salmon fillets, one in a soy sauce brine and one in a dry brine. My question is the soy sauce brine calls for 1 hr soak and the dry calls for 6hr soak. Can I air dry the soy sauce pieces for the duration until the dry brine pieces are done and smoke all at once? Or do I need to smoke them seperately?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Fish Smoking question

Postby Nelly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 am

Hey LM!
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier on this!

The answer to your question is yes! You can air dry and smoke the two recipies together.

However, the six-hour brine time for the dry cure is usually followed by a fresh water rinse and the air-dry clock starts then. So, you'll have a little bit of a time lag between the two recipies.

Start the dry process first (you mentioned six for the dry vs one for the soy so five hours before right?) and then air dry and smoke the two together and tell Tobeck and I when it's done! :lol:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Fish Smoking question

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

I think that last part is key. Making sure to tell the tasters when it is done is the only way to insure that you have done a good job :D
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Return to The Outdoor Line Bar and Grill