Smoked Koke

A general cooking, smoking, barbecuing, and recipes forum on what to do with the catch once it's home.Image

Smoked Koke

Postby seal bomb » Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 am

Took the boys Kokanee fishing this weekend and we ended up with a bunch in just a couple hours. I had yet to try smoking trout but these land locked coho looked perfect for the smoker. For the brine I just used basic brown sugar, kosher salt, fresh pressed garlic, and for a little heat added some chipotle powder. Place fillets in a gallon or larger zip lock cover with brine then place in the fridge over night. Next day rinse off brine and pat dry w/ paper towels then let air dry for a few hours then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar onto them and into the smoker with cherry wood for about 1.5-2.0 hours. They turned out far better then I had imaged very oily and moist not fishy. Here is a poor quality cell picture of what was left.
Attachments
kokanee.smked.jpg
kokanee.smked.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Join CCA
seal bomb
Pollywog

Re: Smoked Koke

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 am

Those look good to me, I have some cutthroat in the freezer and was thinking of smoking them, now you have me convinced to do so.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Dan Carney » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am

[quote="seal bomb"]Took the boys Kokanee fishing this weekend and we ended up with a bunch in just a couple hours. I had yet to try smoking trout but these land locked coho [quote]

From everything I have read, Kokanee are lanklocked Sockeye not Coho. It is even stated that way in the fishing regs. My neighbor and I just had a spirited discussion on this. They are generically refered to as silver trout and I suspect this is where the confusion comes from.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Tue May 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Dan is right about kokanee being sockeye, but there are landlocked coho around also. One things for sure though...those smoked kokes of yours look damn good :!: :!:

I caught some kokanee out of Rimrock lake in 1989, but haven't done any koke fishing since. Really need to make an effort to get back out next spring and catch some of these things. I find my mouth watering every time we talk about them on the show :)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby seal bomb » Thu May 26, 2011 5:42 am

Yup my bad sorry about that guys.
Join CCA
seal bomb
Pollywog