Razor Clam Chowder

A general cooking, smoking, barbecuing, and recipes forum on what to do with the catch once it's home.Image

Razor Clam Chowder

Postby Bear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 am

Northwest Style Razor Clam Chowder
This is a thick, rich, northwest style clam chowder made with fresh or frozen razor clams.
Ingredients:
1 ½-2 cups razor clams chopped and/or ground
1- (6 ounce) bottle clam juice
1-can chicken broth divided
½ cup good quality white wine (I use Chardonnay)
4 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed to ½”
4 slices high quality smoked bacon chopped
1 quart half and half divided
1 medium white onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped fine
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 cube butter divided
¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
Fresh ground pepper

Fill a medium pan with enough water to cover potatoes add ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil; add potatoes and boil for 8 minutes or until slightly soft but not mushy, then drain.

At the same time, in a large heavy pan, brown the chopped bacon in the olive oil; remove bacon and add the onions, celery and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté until translucent. Add wine plus ½ can of chicken stock and clam juice. Bring to a boil, add bacon and reduce over medium heat for 15 minutes; add potatoes and return to boil; add clams, sage and thyme plus ¼ teaspoon (or more) fresh ground pepper; simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.

In the meantime, make a light to medium roux with ½ cube of butter and ¼ cup flour; this will take about 10-15 minutes. When roux is complete, whisk in the remaining butter then, over medium heat, slowly whisk in remaining ½ can of chicken stock until completely incorporated then remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes then quickly whisk in 1 pint of the half and half.

Combine all ingredients, cover and let stand for at least 10 minutes. If chowder is too cool, re-heat over medium heat stirring frequently; heat but do not boil. If chowder is too thick, add some of the remaining half and half; if it is too thin (highly unlikely), add some instant potato flakes.
Serve with sour dough French bread.
Bear
Pollywog

Re: Razor Clam Chowder

Postby Salmonhawk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:17 pm

This recipe looks awesome, wish I could make the clam dig this weekend.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Re: Razor Clam Chowder

Postby MR.G » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:51 am

I am planning on hitting up the razor clam dig next weekend so I decided to do a trial run of this recipe, (I have never made chowder before) and the resault was awesome. I can't wait to make this chowder with some fresh razor clams! Thanks for the great recipe Bear... G
MR.G
Pollywog

Return to The Outdoor Line Bar and Grill