Should I fix it or give it away

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Should I fix it or give it away

Postby kurtmiller » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I have a '76 Bellboy 19' runabout with a Merc 470 I/O that I bought about 6 years ago for $2000 and it has served me well with typical minor repairs along the way. I put on downriggers a Lowrance Sonar/GPS unit among other things to make it a fishing machine. We've had it 10 miles out a Neah Bay and it's caught a lot of fish, but now it needs a minimum of $2500 in repairs and I just don't know if it's worth it since lots of other things seem to be wearing out and I can't really afford a new boat now. It's been out of commission over a year and it's killing me not to be able to fish or crab or shrimp or any of my favorite things. What should I do??
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Re: Should I fix it or give it away

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:13 pm

I can't tell you to keep it or send it down the road.
You cannot look at a 35 year-old boat as an investment. if you can keep it running safely and economically then I say do it! 2011 is not going to be a good year to be without a boat!
On the other hand, don't throw good money after bad, in otherwords, if the wooden stringers and transom are rotting, all the engine and outdrive work you do is wasted.
Take your rig to Bayside Marine in Everett, or Master Marine in Mt. Vernon. You'll get an experts opinion on how to proceed.
Good Luck!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Is it mechanical or hull problems?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby cobble cruiser » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Nelly wrote: 2011 is not going to be a good year to be without a boat!

Spill it Tom. Forecasts that we would like to know about? :twisted:
cobble cruiser
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 am

Have you looked online to see what you could get for $2500? Seems like you might get something in a little better condition for the same money. Keep us posted on what you find out.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby kurtmiller » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks for your responses. The outdrive needs to be completely rebuilt, pull the engine, splines, the whole thing is a rusty mess inside. I think the hull integrity is okay, but seats and engine cover are falling apart... I think Nelly's comment about good money after bad is where I'm thinking. Expecting a windfall in the next few months so maybe I'll just have to say goodbye to Millertime and use the money as a downpayment on a bigger, newer boat... I'm thinkin Woolldridge pilot house. Then I can play with the big boys. Just don't know how to dispose of this one though. Thanks again for the input. Yea Nelly I'm curious about the bad year without a boat also... I may have to try to bum some rides from fellow PSA members.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey Kurt,
Go with your gut feeling then and get it gone! Maybe a free boat ad on Craigslist or here on the new Outdoor Line Trading Post!

In the meantime take your downriggers and sounder off of it as they will work just fine on your new ride!

Head on down to Wooldridge in S. Seattle and talk to Glen and the guys. Tell 'em what's up and they will give you a feeling for what you need to look at for options and rigging!
Good luck!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum