Electronics Question(s)

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Electronics Question(s)

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm going to add a new fishfinder to my boat this spring. I'm looking at the Lowrance HD series and starting to research other mfgs. I would love to hear any other Owners and their impressions and any Customer Service experiences.

1) what is the difference between using a transom mount or a thru-hull transducer?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Re: Electronics Question(s)

Postby Salmonhawk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I love the HD series and the options are endless. The structure scan is something that I would also recommend and I beleive that it will put more fish in your boat over time. As far as ducers go, i have a thru hull and I believe you can get a more powerful one with a thru hull. It'll give you much more detail.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I think you're definitely headed in the right direction with Lowrance.

You just cannot beat the expandability, versatlity, networking and ease of use. If you catch me at Bayside Marine sometime, c'mon over and I'll show you first hand what I'm talking about.

With regard to transducers, if your boat will support the installation, a thru-hull will kick most transom-mounts ass given half a chance.

Think of your transducer as the speakers of a high-end stereo system, except the 'ducer is also your "ears" as well. What you see on your fishfinder's screen is the visual representation of this underwater, ultrasonic "rock show" and if you have great speakers you have a better show!

Lowrance has also opened up the entire Airmar Transducer catalog and if you search their site, you're in for an education!

One of the things you'll learn is the term "Multiple Element". A Multiple Element transducer has two, three or more ceramic elements whereas a typical transom mount has only one. An array of elements allow you higher performance, incredible detail and a better picture than you've ever experienced. Well worth the investment!

PS: In your previous post you asked about a cut transducer cable. Done deal dude. you cannot splice them and you can blow the display unit if the splice shorts out...Don't ask me how I learned that :shock:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:34 pm

So tranducers are like speakers. Does that mean that the tranducers that come with the Unit are like stock speaker and Airmar is like Adding High End Speakers to your system? Which would be the reason you can buy a unit without a transducer and then buy an aftermarket Transducer?
Last edited by LisaMarie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby LisaMarie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Also can you change the power output by changing just the transducer or does the Unit have to be replaced as well?
LisaMarie
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 pm

The unit doesn't have to be changed...only the settings in the unit. You have to select the correct transducer in the HDS menu. I'm adding a 1KW thru hull to the charter boat this summer. I've ran a 600 watt 50/200 ducer for the last three years, however, and it's worked just fine. Not sure if I'm going to drill a hole or add a small bracket onto the stern for the big one. Will probably place it in the engine pod and drill a hole.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey LM,
If you're talking about the Lowrance HDS units, you can indeed purchase a unit without a 'ducer for a discount and choose an Airmar replacement which will have to be ordered from your dealer.
Also you can get into the "Settings" menu, select "Installation" and choose the exact transducer by model number in the menu, if it's a high-power ducer your unit will automatically shift to high power!
The 'ducers supplied with your unit will be a 600 watt transom mount. I recently installed an Airmar SS164 thru-hull which is a 1000 watt unit. I will be using it for the first time tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

ROBBO: DRILL BABY DRILL!!!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Dan Carney » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 am

While we are on the topic, I have been looking at upgrading the Lowrance that came on my boat. I'd like to get your thoughts on another option. I was looking really hard at the HDS 5 unit for my boat until I saw that they are coming out with the Elite-5 DSI model. I have really taken a liking to that unit. It seems that basically your are just giving up the sidescan, and saving several hundred dollars.
Also, with all the discussion on through hull transducers, I am under the impression that they can not be used on aluminum hulls (which I have), any comment?
Thanks.
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Nelly did a thru hull on his but I am not sure what he had to do.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey Dan,
You can indeed use a thru-hull transducer on your alumimum boat! The caveat is the thru-hull must be plastic or Stainless Steel with an isolation kit that comes with the 'ducer.

No bronze transducers on an aluminum hull! Major electrolysis problem as aluminum and bronze HATE each other!!!

To mount a thru-hull on your aluminum boat you must have access above the location of the installation and avoid trailer bunks as well.
Take a look at Lowrance LEI Extras and you'll get a bunch of c hoices!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Next

Return to Boat Owners Forum