Waterproof lowrance???

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Waterproof lowrance???

Postby mitch184 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:16 pm

So on my sled I mounted my HDS8 on a ram mount near the transom of the boat. Well after a pretty sloppy run out to the banks this weekend I realized that with the combo of wave spray and rain that it actually gets pretty wet. Now after every day I take it inside and wipe it down with a damp towel and let it dry. After a couple wet days on the river and a pretty brutal trip back from the straits I haven't noticed any water in the casing or anything but I've heard several stories of water problems with the HDS units.

I was seeing if anyone had thought about this or if I should even be worried? I've thought about buying one of those visors they make and then bonding on some heavy PVC to the back side. Build kind of a cover for it to try and keep the water off of it.
mitch184
Pollywog

Re: Waterproof lowrance???

Postby Nelly » Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Mitch,
Lowrance products are spray resistant, which is a long way from being waterproof.
You definely need to protect your unit from direct "fire hosing" and take it inside to keep it warm and dry every opportunity you have.
Remember that salt water and electricity don't mix and that is especially true inside that Lowrance housing.
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum