Lowrance Question>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Confused

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Lowrance Question>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Confused

Postby northriver » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi, I swear i'm not an idiot (lol). But for some reason this is confusing the hell outta me and the lowrance website is not very helpful.

Here's my questions

I am going to purchase a HDS 5 or HDS 7
Which transducer do i need? The one they say I need does not say duel frequency and retails for about $70. The 50/200 retails for about $140. I want 83/200 but cant find it.
Is the transducer that retails for $70 (part# 106-72) the 200/83? if it is, it doesn't say it.

I like water speed wheel for trolling rather than SpeedOverGround or using the GPS.
The speedo wheel that I found has two connectors!
Do I plug the speedo wheel into my sonar plug then connect the transducer to the speedo wheel?

Sorry bout this, but this is a big upgrade from an eagle seafinder.
Thanks
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Re: Lowrance Question>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Confused

Postby Nelly » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:24 am

The 'ducer you specified (HST-WSBL Part # 106-72 $62.84) seen below is a 200kHz unit only.
HST-DFSBL.jpg
HST-DFSBL.jpg (8.3 KiB) Viewed 4824 times

I would recommend a dual freq unit but I cannot seem to find the 83/200 unit you were referring to either..I'll keep poking around though...

You hit the nail on the head with the speed and temp sensor though, as you can see here, the two plugs are transducer male & female and are placed in-line with your 'ducer cable.
ST-TBL.jpg
ST-TBL.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 4824 times

The only problem this creates is the need for an extension cable since the length of the speed/temp pigtail is often much shorter than the 'ducer cable and you cannot reach your display unit.

Head to http://www.lei-extras.com/store/default.asp for more information! 8-)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby mitch184 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:33 am

One thing I'd add, when you setup your HDS make sure you select your correct transducer. I just switched mine to the WSBL and it actually made a big difference on clarity and depth readings.
mitch184
Pollywog

Postby northriver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks Nelly,
Let me know if you find the 83/200. The unit says it's compatible with 83/200 yet you can't find that transducer.
Someone told me that the HDS units recalculate internally for 83khz and all you need is the 200khz transducer. However I have not verified this.
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Postby northriver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:37 am

mitch184 wrote:One thing I'd add, when you setup your HDS make sure you select your correct transducer. I just switched mine to the WSBL and it actually made a big difference on clarity and depth readings.

noted: thanks
ImageImageImageImage
northriver
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum