Need help with Navionics app

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Need help with Navionics app

Postby kurtmiller » Sun May 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Tom... at your seminar at Harbor last week you mentioned (I think) that we should get the US West version of Navionics, and that it was $15. Finally got a tablet and want to link it to my Gen3 Touch. When I go to download an app it has a $15 version called "U.S. & Canada" and the other is a $10 version called "USA". Am I in the right place and if so which is the one you referred to? The free one doesn't do jack.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Re: Need help with Navionics app

Postby Nelly » Sun May 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Hey KM,
Get the Navionics US West & Canada app and zoom into activate Sonar Charts which is a wonderful enhancement of depth lines currently available.
Having a second source of tide and current info on board is very handy as well cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby kurtmiller » Mon May 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks Nelly, it doesn't say "West" anywhere that I could find, just US & Canada and it was $14.99 so I'll assume and hope that's the right one. Gonna hit the lings Wednesday inspite of the adverse tides.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Tue May 05, 2015 7:21 am

I just downloaded a new Sonarcharts map yesterday and its indeed US & Canada. I purchased the Navionics+ card and the download was free. I can post some screenshots if you need any more help Kurt.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Tue May 05, 2015 11:48 pm

What would be really cool is if you guys had a bit of spare time is to do a video on tablets, just saying... It looks like they may be the wave of the future. We don't have one yet, but after the last camping trip in the plane with Matt doing all the navigating with a tablet it sure opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities. Sure appreciate you guys trying out the new goodies in a real world environment and sharing with us. So if Nelly and Robbo take requests for a new video...........

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby Wild Bill » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 am

Navionics on an IPad is a great tool for sure. I sat in my recliner and dropped pins on several likely looking Halibut anchor spots in Canada based off the sonar charts and then went over and caught Halibut on all but one of my marks. My only complaint about it is they do not have a track up setting yet which would be very helpful. I imagine it would be a pretty easy fix for them. Are you listening Navionics?
Wild Bill
Pollywog

Postby kurtmiller » Wed May 06, 2015 4:46 pm

Finally got it loaded on my notebook and it saved my bacon today. Gen3 slipped out of my hand loading the boat yesterday in pouring rain and hail and hit driveway from 4 feet up. Hoped for the best, got the worst, wouldn't even fire up, but was able to track where I was and use the contour lines to at least have a clue where we were and how deep.

Found a honey hole for sand dabs, loaded up and headed to Double Bluff @ 11:30 for the last hour of a nasty outgoing tide. Unfortunately we didn't find any Lings but my Norwegian partner has a gob o' sand dabs for dinner thumbup

Thanks for the offer Rob.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Wed May 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your Gen 3 there bro. :cry:
But here is a little help for your Navionics ap. The Dual GPS pops a Bluetooth signal out and will provide position info for your Navionics platform device. Check it out!
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby kurtmiller » Sat May 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Huge cudos to West Marine in Everett where I bought my Gen3. The factory said it would cost $600 to rebuild it and Beth (one of the Mgrs) said, "I can't do that to you since you just got it."... so they (West Marine) are going to REPLACE it for me at no cost.

Now THAT is customer service to the N'th degree. So I took her a nice bottle of red wine to say thanks.
kurtmiller
Pecker Trout

Return to Boat Owners Forum