Aluminum vs Fiberglass boats

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Aluminum vs Fiberglass boats

Postby Nelly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 pm

A question I hear quite a lot from prospective boat buyers involves basic construction materials.

These days the boating market is dominated by aluminum and fiberglass boats. I am a huge aluminum boat fan and I believe that anyone that is in the 20-foot boat market and above should seriously look at metal. If I lived in other parts of the world, with warmer waters and "hot" marinas I might think differently but for me its aluminum all the way.

What do you guys think?
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Aluminum vs Fiberglass boats

Postby cobble cruiser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm

I may be a bit bias but the fact is after all the pros and cons of each, one thing always remains the same. Resale value. Welded aluminum boats depreciate mucho slower than glass boats. That's my story and I'm stuck in it. :D
cobble cruiser
Pecker Trout

Postby NOFISH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am

I just think the cleanup and maintenance is so much less with alloy.....I've watched Bucket wax-on and wax-off his petroleum-based boat for days at a time, even while we're pretending to fish :lol:
NOFISH
Pollywog

Postby Bucket » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm

NOFISH wrote:I just think the cleanup and maintenance is so much less with alloy.....I've watched Bucket wax-on and wax-off his petroleum-based boat for days at a time, even while we're pretending to fish :lol:

Ya but it always looks good! BTW your nickname is the only reason we would be "pretending to fish". Now that thats behind us, after owning 3 very nice glass boats, I'm pretty sure my next boat will be alloy. I'll clean it as much as I currently do the Sea Sport. For Sale BTW!
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Glass boats all the way. The variety and flexibility you have with a glass boat is nice if your out looking and I haven't seen an aluminum boat of comparable size that can handle the water the way my glass boat does....I'll concede on the cleanup part of the deal but in my mind it's worth it to have a nice clean looking white boat, that way I don't have to ride around in an ugly alloy boat.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 am

Ugly alloy???? Really? Just for that I'm gonna take an ice pick and check your stringers and transom for rot!

Seriously, I think that Bayliner gave all glass boats a stigma due to their shoddy construction in the late 80's / early 90's.

Low quality gelcoat that turned to chalk in a couple of years and porous chopper-gun sprayed stringers and transoms led to a lot of unhappy customers. When those boats hit the used market, a whole bunch of folks bought a world of problems.

Don't discount the weight of glass boats as a big reason for their percieved softer ride and don't forget that it takes a whole lot more ponies and therefore ga$ to push that weight.

Reverse chine aluminum chambered hulls in my opinion offer the best weight/ride compromise in the market these days.
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby t_dub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 pm

sounds like we need an un-biased, third-party to compare the two and see what their preference is. i would be willing to take on such a task, so here's what I propose:

Nelly- you should take me out halibut fishing in the Straits next month in Big Red
Tobeck - same thing with you but it should be tuna fishing in August

i shall take extensive notes, comparing ride quality, noise, fuel efficieny, blah, blah, blah and report back to the group this fall.

matter of fact, now that i think about it some more, maybe i should go out twice with each of you; you know, in the name of fairness ;)

whadda ya say???
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 pm

I think that is a capital idea! First we'll have to get confirmation of your skills as a technical report writer! :lol:
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby t_dub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:59 pm

my high school english teacher will vouch for me, i can get you her name.......if she's still alive :D
t_dub
Pecker Trout

Postby Robbo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Alloy all the way for a fishing boat...unless you want to look pretty while you're out on the water :D
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to Boat Owners Forum