New boat which Outboard

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

New boat which Outboard

Postby Wishn » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:31 am

Tom
We met last year at the Seattle boat show talking outboard motors for a sled. I very much appreciated your time and input.

I have finally decided what I am building. It is going to be a 21'x84" Riverwild with a center console mounted forward so I can run it similar to an open sled or have a top similar to a windshield boat.

My dilemma now is power. I will run both a pump for the Cowlitz and a prop for Lake Mayfield, Riffe lake and the Columbia. 175 or 200 Etec is the decision right now. I am leaning toward the 200 because I would like some reserve and there are days when I just want to put the boat on the Lake for a ride with the feeling of speed and power. I have thought 200 HO but I hate to have another 100# on the transom.

I would appreciate your opinion.

ps Love the radio show
Great looking new Weldcraft boat. I noticed you did not skimp on the power.

Wishn
Wishn
Pollywog

Re: New boat which Outboard

Postby Nelly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:23 am

Hey there W,
Welcome to our happy little group of boat nuts!
I would definitely opt for the big block Evinrude E Tec 200 HO and here's why:

-There's no replacement for displacement. The 200HO will definitely out perform the 175 and you won't have to use 100% of the horsepower which will result in a longer engine life.

-With a boat of the size you're describing, I think the extra weight of the larger engine will hardly be an issue,. Especially considering the center console configuration which places more weight amidships.

-Finally, one of the reasons to get an Evinrude E Tec is the low maintenance. Swapping the lower unit from prop to pump is a pain. If you opt for the larger 200 HO you'll probably not need any more power for your new ride!

Good luck and see you at the Seattle Boat Show!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: New boat which Outboard

Postby Wishn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Tom
Hope you had a good show season. I appreciate your boat info.
My new boat construction has started. I decided on a 200HO in the new Graphite color.
Any input on the Evinrude auxiliary charging cable set up?
Your Inverter system is very interesting.
Boat will also have a Lowrance 9 touch.
Thanks on any tips.
Wishn
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum