Winterizing kicker

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Winterizing kicker

Postby ghedrick » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I am fairly new to being a boat owner, more so to being a motor owner. I have a drift boat and I recently I purchased an 8hp mercury 2stroke kicker. My question is what winterization things do I need to perform?

I use only ethanol free gas, and when i finish fishing for the day I pull the gas line and run the fuel out. The motor will likely sit from November to April each year. Is there still some other things I should do for my little kicker this winter? Thanks a bunch guys!
ghedrick
Pollywog

Re: Winterizing kicker

Postby Robbo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Howdy GHedrick!
For starters you'll want to change the lower unit oil and fog the cylinders. That way you're ready to roll in the spring.

To fog the cylinders you can usually spray fogging compound into the air intake while the motor is running. Do it a few times until the motor almost dies and then on the last shot spray enough fogging agent into the intake to totally kill the engine. With manufacturers recommend taking out the spark plugs, giving each cylinder a squirt of compound, and then turning over the engine to coat the cylinders. Either way works...but the first one is usually the easiest. You might check online to see what Merc recommends for a two stroke.

I also like to hit all the bolts on the inside and outside of the engine with Corrosion Block or something similar. Lastly I'll take off the prop and grease up the shaft splines to keep the prop from corroding onto the shaft over the winter.

All this stuff will pay off in the spring when you're ready to hit the water again. Good luck to ya ;)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby tantastic84 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it is this simple for a Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke.

I dont intend on letting my motors sit for the entire winter, but there may be times when I take a few weeks off here and there. Would you guys still recommend doing some type of "winterizing"?
tantastic84
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:42 pm

I would definitely change the oil in the fall and the spring at a minimum.
In addition, annually replacing the fuel filters is an EXCELLENT practice.
Keep in mind that even the small 8hp kickers have small, inside the hood, power head fuel filters that periodically require service.
The absolute worst thing for boats and motors is leting them sit.
Using your gear and keeping it maintained is the key to trouble-free boating! thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum