Weldcraft: Building "Great White"!

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: Weldcraft: Building "Great White"!

Postby Nelly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 am

J.D. wrote:Don't forget to weld a pick-up/thru hull fitting for a live bait tank. Lookin' good!

Funny you should mention that J.D.! The fine folks at Weldcraft have sent me a shot of precisely that!

Not only is the rear deck structure and the 175 gallon fuel tank in place, but the transom fish box/live well with separate thru-hull fill and drain is in place...and will be in play!
aNelsons 280 Cuddy 7996 009.jpg
aNelsons 280 Cuddy 7996 009.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 7748 times

The transom fish box is in addition to the underfloor fish box just forward of the fuel tank and now you have a clue what tomorrow's pic just may be... spy outahere
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Duck » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:45 am

I'm excited to see how your boat comes together. I ordered a 28 Duckworth to be built in Feb.

What is the reason for the separate pickup for the live well? I was planning to "T" off the supply before the washdown pump. Is my thinking flawed?

Also can't wait to see what you're doing for the autopilot. We are holding off on that decision. I want to have all motors tied together for steering with the autopilot connected to the kicker.
Duck
Pollywog

Postby J.D. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Livebait pumps often starve washdown pumps of water and vise versa when trying to use both from the same pick up.
J.D.
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Duck wrote:I'm excited to see how your boat comes together. I ordered a 28 Duckworth to be built in Feb.
What is the reason for the separate pickup for the live well? I was planning to "T" off the supply before the washdown pump. Is my thinking flawed?

Hey Duck! Welcome aboard!
First, a little background: The box across the transom doubles as a "bleed box"/fish box and live well.
Water flow through the transom box is a more aggressive/flushing action than the underfloor box and will whisk blood away quickly and easily. Less blood in your fish box reduces bacterial action that leads to "belly burn" and reduced quality of your catch.

In live well mode, (live herring for salmon, sand dabs for lings and anchovies for tuna) a flushing action is necessary for a proper oxygenating flow of water to keep your bait alive.

The two separate water tubes for the transom box (one in, one out) ensure a controlled, dependable, clog-free flow of water through the transom box.

Duck wrote:...
Also can't wait to see what you're doing for the autopilot. We are holding off on that decision. I want to have all motors tied together for steering with the autopilot connected to the kicker.

I'm officially done with kicker-only autopilots... The mains will be tied together with the kicker, so, no tiller handle on the trolling motor.

The reason I've moved up the Navico ladder from Lowrance to Simrad is because of Simrad's integration of navigation and autopilot control.

Instead of Lowrance HDS head units, this boat will be equipped with Simrad NSS MFD's or "Multi-Function-Displays" These MFD's give you a sounder, GPS/chartplotter, radar, Sirius satellite weather, audio system control and also functions as your autopilot control.

In other words, my "sounder" will be keeping me pointed in the right direction regardless if I'm on the mains or, on the kicker.

But, you're going to have to wait for those pictures... cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Duck wrote:...

I'm officially done with kicker-only autopilots... The mains will be tied together with the kicker, so, no tiller handle on the trolling motor. A Navico AP 28 will be keeping me pointed in the right direction regardless if I'm on the mains or, on the kicker.

But, you're going to have to wait for those pictures... cheers[/quote]

I am interested in why you are getting away from kicker only auto pilots. How do you feel that is more beneficial? Can you still control the speed on the kicker?
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby Duck » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the response. Are you planning to keep anchovies in the transom box? I thought anchovies need a round live well. Or are you planning to have enough current in the transom box to let the anchovies swim?
I'm not sure I understand your floor fish box. I just read though the manufacture's options list again. Do you have a water pump to the in-floor fish box? Is the water supply to the floor fish box standard or did you add that?

When will your boat be on display? I'm excited to see it.
Duck
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Rock wrote:I am interested in why you are getting away from kicker only auto pilots. How do you feel that is more beneficial? Can you still control the speed on the kicker?

Hey Rock, welcome to our little boat-building party here.

The problem with kicker only autopilots is primarily with rough seas and boat of 22 feet and over.
I'm sure you've experienced winds and BIGWAVES that are simply too much for the small engine to handle.

If you haven't...then I need to start fishing where -and when- you fish! :shock:

With larger boats in particular, having the engines turn in unison give the boat more effective rudder surface and easier handling especially in rough seas.

Throttle and steering control will be taken care of from the second helm which will just be steps away from the rods!
Ahelm.jpg
Ahelm.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 7715 times

That's obviously not my boat's second helm but rather a shot from a finished Weldcraft.
I'll be able to control the mains and kicker as well as the autopilot which is essentially built into the Navico NSS8 which will be the second station display.

But, we're still a ways away from electronics installations. We've still got welding to do! rockon
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby SCHANKER » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I still think you need the shark teeth!! beatdeadhorse
SCHANKER
Window Licker

Postby Nelly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the response. Are you planning to keep anchovies in the transom box? I thought anchovies need a round live well. Or are you planning to have enough current in the transom box to let the anchovies swim?

Wow Duck, you asked a mouthful... :lol:

I am definitely planning on keeping anchovies in the transom box for day tuna trips. Are round live wells preferable? Yes, but what the Weldcraft transom box lacks in "roundness" it makes up for in volume, flow and hull position.

The advantage to round wells are the lack of corners that give baitfish a bloody nose when they bump into the walls. Weldcraft's transom live well not only doubles as a fishbox but it's located in the softest riding part of the hull and has the water capacity and flow to keep three scoops of Jose's anchovies happy for a day of albacore angling.

Duck wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your floor fish box. I just read though the manufacture's options list again. Do you have a water pump to the in-floor fish box? Is the water supply to the floor fish box standard or did you add that?

The best way to explain the in-floor fish box is to show you a picture (worth a thousand words...right?) of this 50" by 60" behemoth!
aNelsons 280 Cuddy 7996 012.jpg
aNelsons 280 Cuddy 7996 012.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 7691 times

I will be adding water to this in-floor fishbox by using the Jabsco Ultra 7.0GPM Washdown Pump and/or the venerable, ever-present deck bucket and the box will be pumped out with a robust Jabsco Single Diaphragm Waste Pump.

Duck wrote:...When will your boat be on display? I'm excited to see it.

I'm hoping to fish it in the first stop in the 2014 Northwest Salmon Derby Series, the Resurrection Derby in Friday Harbor on December 6 & 7 2013 and then she will be found in the Master Marine booth at the Seattle Boat Show.

The 2014 Seattle Boat Show is set for January 24 - February 2! cheers
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Rock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 am

I wish I was the one hosting this boat building party but alas I will enjoy it non the less.

Ya that makes complete sense, Even with my 19ft boat in some serious current and weather I will turn the wheel on the big motor.

Either way the boat looks great so far and I am excited to see it at the Boat show. I work right next to the stadium and I am sure I will be there a few times through the 2 weeks.
Rock
Pecker Trout

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Owners Forum