Weldcraft: Building "Great White"!

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: Weldcraft: Building "Great White"!

Postby Rod Buster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 pm

That's a bad ass ride Nelly!
I'm stoked to see it at the boat show because after a long time kicking tires, I'm finally in the market to buy a boat this year.
I've been lurking here for some time but after reading your last blog about reverse chine I just had to ask you a couple questions.

How long has reverse chine been around and if it's such an important deal, why don't all boat builders do it?
Rod Buster
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

First off, I love the handle!!! Rod Buster is a classic!

Thanks for reading that blog and for those that missed it, they can find it right here!

You asked a mouthful but what a great question thumbup

The soft ride of a reverse chine boat has it origin in rigid hull inflatable boats also known as "RIBs". A couple of decades back, it was thought that the soft inflatable collar was flexing and absorbing the punishment that the waves were dishing out but later on that was discounted. Further research pointed to the fact that the pontoons surrounding the hull provided lift and slowed the hull's downward penetration into a wave, thus softening the ride.

The reason more boat builders don't incorporate this into their hulls is $imply co$t. Labor is more expensive than aluminum and while it doesn't take a lot more metal to build a decent chine, it does take longer to build reverse chine into the boat.

So 'Buster, don't take my word for it... but don't buy a boat off a trailer either. You have got to take your new boat for a ride in the rough stuff. If someone tries to sell you a boat without running in the big water...run...run fast! outahere

C'mon into the Seattle Boat Show and take a look at a bunch of hulls...Then come see me in the Master Marine booth. I'll be happy to show you exactly what I mean and take you for a ride in the salt water where we can jump some ferry wakes...
That, my friend is where the rubber meets the road... rimshot
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Eddy C » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 pm

There is no Seahawks logo on the Great White??
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 am

There probably should be... somewhere... spy
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Nelly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Well, it's finally Show Season! gears

A big milestone today as Great White finally rolled into the Master Marine Booth at the Seattle Boat Show
aShow.jpg
aShow.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 9274 times

I hope to see a bunch of you there...after all, it's not like there's any football on this weekend... spy
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Saharit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Nelly, it was great to see you at the boat show today. Imagine you are getting tons of traffic showing your boat. Your boat is awesome. Again, congratulations on the new ride.

Felt bad for you because it must have been a very long day today after getting up and doing the radio show a zero dark thirty! sleep1

-Troy
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 am

You've got that right Troy!
Thanks for stopping by and I'm getting all coffee'd up and ready to go again today!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Salty Spoon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Hey Nelly,

Good to see you today! And of course thanks for the tour on the "Great White". The fishing deck is massive and I'm extremely jealous of the diesel heater! Blackmouth fishing in a center console can be a lil chilly sometimes.

For those heading to the boat show in the next couple days be careful. Nelly almost had me ready to make moves on a new Weldcraft! The reverse chine is pretty sick!!! Maybe next year.... thumbup

See you on the water

Jake
Salty Spoon
Pollywog

Previous

Return to Boat Owners Forum