Winter is near

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Winter is near

Postby Fishee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am

I have question about ethanol issues in outboards. If I am going to winterize my outboard. Should i fill up my gas tank up to the max? And what do i need to pour into my gas tank filled with gas to keep water/moisture out of the tank?

Or should I leave the tank empty or near empty? then just pour some kind of liquid that prevent moisture.

Thanks
Fishee
Pollywog

Re: Winter is near

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

I personally top my tank off before I shut it down for the fall. Ive always looked at it as if its full then im not allowing condensation to be created. Many of the marinas around the sound have non ethanol fuel as well as most cenex's. One other thing I can tell you is this. 4 or 5 years ago I was gummin up my carbs on my kicker all the damn time from ethanol off the road pumps. Then i started using stabil(marine) and have had ZERO problems since. Guys do different things but thats my 2 cents...
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Eddy C » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

I agree with Brandon. I fill mine up and use Stabil in the winter. I'm still running an old 2 smoker so I want it to last as long as possible $$. I also like to use it in the winter Blackmouth! Change lower unit oil twice a year.Right before cold weather.
Sometimes elk and geese get in the way of winter fishing......
Eddy C
Pecker Trout

Postby Fishee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 am

Alrighty then, I'll fill'er up over the winter with them Stabil.

I can use both red and green?
Fishee
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Fishee wrote:Alrighty then, I'll fill'er up over the winter with Stabil.

I can use both red and green?

You bet! Some folks prefer the green but red is more widely available.

Whatever the color, some Stabil is waaaaaay better than half a tank of six month old, ethanol-laced gas. :twisted: :twisted:
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum