About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Re: About to Update my GPS/FF to the HDS-10

Postby Nelly » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Hey Dan!
I think you'll love that DSI (or Down Scan Imaging) unit! You'll have a new operating frequency so there will be less interferance with other boaters but the real advantage is the DETAIL you'll get from that unit!
I'm looking forward to hearing your review of that unit!!!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Dan Carney » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:33 pm

One of the last things that helped me to decide that this is the unit I want is when you had the Lowrance rep talking about this unit on your radio show, and he said they decided to port the DSI module from the SS unit since it is the function used most by people that had the full HDS/SS setup. I'm sure I will like it for what I am doing, I did a lot of research and for the type of fishing I do it should be exceptional.
L8R
Dan
Dan Carney
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 pm

One thing to keep in mind is to log on to the Lowrance website and download the software updates. I just updated my HDS 10 to version 3.5.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby rick rysemus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Nelly,

On routing the Transducer cables how far do they need to be from other cables. The best side to run them on my boat happens to also have the power leads too. The max I can get them apart would be 5-6 inches.
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey Rick!
The only depthsounder interference problems that I've ever had directly attributable to transducer cable routing involved motors.
Once, I had an issue with a 'ducer cable running too close to a TR-1 autopilot and the other occasion was a trolling motor.

Make sure your engines have resistor or ES (Electronic Suppression) spark plugs and this includes your kicker or trolling motor.

Make sure you follow all the anti interference procedures stated in Lowrance's installation manual, be careful with your routing and electrical connections and you should be fine!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Bucket » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 am

Doesn't happen very often but I gotta agree with Nelly on the above comments.
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby rick rysemus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Started the install today... What an undertaking... Luckly the previous owner put pull rope thru all the wire passages... That made it possible to pull the new cables thru locations that would have been impossible without them.
The Radar is bolted down and the cable is routed up to the dash.
Structure Scan module is mounted and Transducer cable is routed to it. Still need to mount the transducer.
I also move my old LCX-16ci to back window. It will be nice to have a Sonar unit near the back of the boat to show bottom and downriggers depth.....
Plan to mount the HDS-10 and power everything this week after work...
Hope to have everything finished before the this weekend so I can install a Airmar B164 transducer ....
Plan to be back on the water on the 19th or 20th....

Have I missed anything? Oh yeah I tiled the back splash in the kitchen on saturday...
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Rick is a busy man!
Way to go checking a box on the "honeydo" list! It's too bad the wives don't give us credit for all the boat work we have to do!!!

Keep in mind that your LSS-1 Structure Scan head unit has extra Ethernet ports that will accomodate your radar and another Ethernet device (Satellite weather, etc).

Despite the fact that you're giving the boat an electronic "overhaul" you do not have to run a wire for each and every device!

The same Ethernet cable that carries your Structure Scan info to your HDS 10 will also carry radar returns, sattelite weather and a second HDS units sonar information!

Remember to power the yellow Ethernet "Wake-up" wire once and then connect all the yellow wires together. The key to a successful do-it-yourself installation is understanding how all the pieces fit together and studying the installation manual...which I'm sure you've done!

Good luck and happy honeydo-ing!!!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby rick rysemus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Update:

Just finished installing a Airmar B164. Man their web site doesn't do them any justice. That thing is just bad ass. I had no idea that I was getting a 3 3/4" dia by 4" tall chunk of brass that they call a transducer...Talk about getting what you pay for...Not some PLASTIC thing you just dropped a bunch of coin on...

Everything else is in, wired, updated and ready to rock.

So far it's night and day from the old to the new. If you're thinking about updating don't try to save money by buying a small HDS...buy the Big Dog...you'll thank yourself later...So far I haven't kicked myself once for the amount of money I'm spend on the upgrade...

Plan to test it this weekend...
rick rysemus
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 pm

That was fast! I'm installing an Airmar in the charter boat when I get north again. If you have time can you take a photo of where you have it installed and post it. Nervous about drilling a 4 inch gaper in the bottom of the boat :o

Thanks Rick!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

PreviousNext

Return to Boat Owners Forum